Cartridge Filter

Jul 21, 2013
I have a cartridge filter. I have dead algae on bottom every time I vacuum it blows back in through the pool return. I have also purchased a new cartridge and it is still blowing the algae back into the pool. What can I do to vacuum the pool without this happening?

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you have a problem in your filter, stuff should not bypass the cartridge.

You could add a valve between the pump and filter that would allow you to vacuum to waste. But that would not fix the filter issue.

What kind of cartridge filter are you using? Are you using an intex filter with intex filter cartridges? I was having the same problem with intex cartridges. The rubber areas on the top and bottom of the cartridge where it goes onto the return pipe inside the filter itself and where the cap for the filter goes into the cartridge are weak and they allow dirt and stuff to pass by especially when the cartridge gets loaded up with dirt. If you go on google or amazon and look for a unicel replacement for intex type a cartridge, or similar other brand it'll work much better and the cartridges themselves are built better and will last longer than the intex brand ones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BNPRC2

Like this one.

Could you possibly post some pictures of the filter and everything that goes with it? There are so many variations it is very difficult to say, but pictures would help greatly. I know on mine we didn't realize there was a large O-ring and had the same problem until we put that where it belonged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.