Jandy ePump vs Pentair Intelliflo VF on Aqualink RS

hamw

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2011
I need a new pump for my pool. It is a 32k gallon pool with a Jandy RS Aqualink Rev QQ with Pool/Spa combo with 2" piping, Jandy membrane 420 filter and separate Polaris 280 with pump. The water fills and overflows the spa in its circulation; no solar or other attachments. There is currently an AO Smith Centurion 1.5 hp pump with a 1.5 service rating, running 12 hours per day with Pentair challenger head. I was thinking I could simply replace the current motor with a 2 speed, but don't know how would I properly select a 2 speed motor, knowing that I need enough flow to overflow the spa? Hence the consideration of a variable speed motor.

At this point I'm pretty convinced I can integrate the Intelliflo into the Aqualink RS and control it via the PDA or automation. The reason for considering the Intelliflo is the 3 hp rating, which I am hoping would give more power to the spa jets, and perhaps run with more power reserve, e.g. less strain.

My questions are these: Any perceived differences in reliability between the pumps? Has the integration with the Jandy worked out well overall? I spoke with Jandy and they say that the ePump has the best head flow of any pump. Would that make the flow rates between the epump and the Intelliflo VF similar despite the differences in HP? Are there any other reasons to go with the Intelliflo VF over the ePump?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The IntelliFlo has been around longer and we are more familiar with it, but I haven't heard anything negative about the ePump. The ePump has been around long enough, that if there were issues we would have heard, so no real difference between them on reliability. Likewise, there are some very minor differences in efficiency, but generally too small a difference to merit favoring one over the other.

The IntelliFlo does give you a wider HP range. That only matters if you might actually use the extra HP. If your current pump is acceptable then a 2 HP ePump should be more than enough. On the other hand, if you would occasionally like noticeably more flow than you get with your current pump, then it is worth looking at the IntelliFlo. There is no advantage to having the higher max HP if you never use it, ie "strain" and "reserve" are not an issue here.

There have been occasional reports of issues getting an AquaLink to work with an IntelliFlo. In almost all cases this has been an issue of limited documentation not making the process completely clear, and everything ended up fine.

Appreciate the replies. Regarding the HP difference, I'd like more oomph in the spa jets. If the increased hp actually makes a significant difference in flow that would be great.

hamw said:
Davegvg said:
Curious to see where you get with this.
I tried this 2 years ago...

Uncle Dave

Do you mean you put a Pentair pump on your Jandy RS system and now have gone back to a Jandy ePump?

When I switched over to the Jandy 8 I had a one speed 1 HP Pentair whisperflow.
I retired it (still working) and replaced it with a 2HP Jandy Epump a few years ago.

Epump is in place today.

I would have preferred a Pentair VF but could not find a contractor to gaurantee the setup would work.

UD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.