When to add DE?

Thanks. That's what I thought. The guys at the pool store told me I should add some after I bump, so I thought I'd ask here before I followed their directions!

shorelover i would come on here before i listen to the guys at the pool store because half of them i talk to seem to know less than i do which is pretty funny. i have DE on hand but never used it yet. im sure you will get great advice from one of the experts on here.

You only need to add more DE when you backwash/clean the filter.

Also, you only add the full amount of DE your filter calls for (6lbs for the 65, I believe) the first time you add DE for the season. After that, when you backwash, only add 80% (4.5 - 4.8 lbs) since all of the DE won't get flushed out when you backwash.

I have another DE question - does it matter what brand I use? I think the instructions for my Hayward Perflex EC65 gives specific brands.

However, I have a store credit at Home Depot. They have a 25 lb box called "Pool Time" for $19. Plus I like the box instead of a bag that can tip. Any reason I can't use this DE?

Sue

one thing i have noticed about buying products is that they do tend to advertise another product that the company may make. i would say that it doesnt matter what brand it is personally i have used multiple brands and havent noticed a difference in what the outcome is.

DE is DE as long as it's DE for a pool filter!
As far as bumping goes (this is one of my personal rants), it takes clean DE, knocks it off the filter, mixes it with the dirt and then the grids get recoated with DIRTY DE!
My personal feeling is that a DE filter should not be bumped or backwashed in normal maintenance but broken down and cleaned and then recharged. (Don't get me started on my backwashing a DE filter rant BUT the first time you have to chisel out hardened DE powder from the grids with a screwdriver from overcharging it during backwashing you will KNOW what I am talking about!)
I am going to spare you all the details but I have posted then many times before here and at PF.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Evan, I fully agree that manual cleaning is better than the bumping or backwashing on a DE filter! However, you've also read the info here http://www.troublefreepool.com/use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html That I wrote for folks who have the DE filters, If a DE filter owner follows what I wrote, there should never be a reason to have to use a screwdriver to get the 'gunked up' De out :) As was mentioned in this thread, as well as in the sticky, adding ~80% of the DE is key to preventing having to resort to a screwdriver to clean the filter. Also, cleaning a cart or De filter when the psi only rises ~5 makes the cleaning more effective and prevents undue wear on the filter elements - but we're trying to make maintenance as simple as we can for pool owners and I'm just trying to tell them how to maintain their filter following what they've read in their owner's manual :mrgreen: I also agree with you on 'bump' filters - when you bump, the clogged up DE is just repositioned - you will open new pathways through the DE coating, but some of the dirty stuff gets put on the fingers and will necessitate a manual cleaning sooner because the dirt gets embedded into the membrane on the fingers - I think I covered this in the 'sticky'

BTW- How is your pool doing and your Summer job? (I've always wanted to tell you that I would have said [in your sig line] "I've tested more water than you have in your pool" - but I'm prone to hyperbole 8) )

waste said:
BTW- How is your pool doing and your Summer job? (I've always wanted to tell you that I would have said [in your sig line] "I've tested more water than you have in your pool" - but I'm prone to hyperbole 8) )
Pool is fine, Poolstore is fine, and I was just offered another job doing pool maintenance for a condo association (2 pool, 55 K aand 65 k) but I don't think I will take it because it's an hour drive and gas has gotten SO expensive.
How are you doing in the 'busy season'!?
(I have read your sticky and it's an EXCELLENT beginners guide but I will stick by what I stated. Look at backwashing, we are purposely forcing dirty water backwards through the grids during a backwash but there are always BIG cautions about running a DE filter undercharged or without DE because you will foul the grids. That is about as logical as a bump filter where you coat the grids with dirty DE.
As far as replacing 75 % or 80% of the DE after backwashing, how can you be sure that you have washed out that much. If you backwash a bit longer you will have less DE and end up with an undercoated grid and if you don't backwash quite long enough and don't break the filter down for cleaning that often (and MOST DE owners DON'T, as you well know) you will be breaking out that screwdriver!
IF, and this is a very big IF, the filter is broken down on a regular basis (2-4 times a year) then this will not become a problem but I bet if you take a poll of the DE owners on here on how often they break their filters down it will be a lot less than that (I am sure there are going to be several who have NEVER broken their filter down).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.