Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've been plagued with this problem for a long while, it's easy to reproduce.

I switch my sand filter setting to backwash for a few minutes when necessary. I turn off power, switch it to Rinse and and then turn power back on, and now water will shoot from the head of my sand filter and the only way I can get it to stop is if I start opening and closing the different valves on the system while the problem is occurring and it relieves the pressure.

So then Rinse is complete, I turn off power, I put it back to Filter and then the exact same problem happens and water shoots from the head, I play with valves (heater ones, Bottom drain) and problem stops until the next time I have to backwash.

Help please.

Yeah, time to shut off the pump and open up the multi-port. Pretty common for the gasket inside to be misaligned or damaged.

Pretty easy DIY job if you're handy or get a service tech if you don't want to mess with it.

As a note for everyone......I think it is good practice to turn your multi port handle in one direction only. If you start using it clockwise....only turn it clockwise....never back it up.

duraleigh said:
Yeah, time to shut off the pump and open up the multi-port. Pretty common for the gasket inside to be misaligned or damaged.

Pretty easy DIY job if you're handy or get a service tech if you don't want to mess with it.

As a note for everyone......I think it is good practice to turn your multi port handle in one direction only. If you start using it clockwise....only turn it clockwise....never back it up.

Thank you, I certainly did not practice a clockwise motion only, I will going forward.

I have been been meaning to have my plumbing upgraded to 2" and I even bought a 2" multi port in anticipation, I guess I have an excuse to get a service call now.

Just curious, but why does changing the pressure on the valves on other parts of plumbing resolve the issue, is there any combination of valve opening / closing I can do to fix it in a manual manner without getting everything wet until I get someone out?

is there any combination of valve opening / closing I can do to fix it in a manual manner without getting everything wet until I get someone out?
This is just a WAG, but I suspect by changing the valve positions you are changing the internal pressure and flow on the multi port, perhaps causing the gasket to reseat itself.

I would urge you to consider that opinion worth exactly what you paid for it....it is strictly a guess. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.