Filter question

Jul 18, 2013
New pool owner here! We recently and purchased and had installed a Sharkline AGP, 24ftx48in. We upgraded to the millennium sand filter 26", 2hp 2spd. While at the poolstore today getting our start up chemicals (part of our package) I asked the employee how long I should run the filter and she told me to run it all the time. That seemed excessive to me.....? Growing up my parents had an inground pool and I don't remember the filter running 24/7.

No need to run pump 24/7. Pump run time varies with every pool. Run your pump as long as it takes to keep your water looking good. Maintaining proper FC levels will also help with that.

I also think that pump is overkill. A 1 hp 2 speed would be plenty. Just use low speed for your filtration and high for mixing chem's and if you need better skimming.

Make sure you read pool school Spend some time reading ABC's of water chemistry.

I would reccommend one of the test kits also. Best investment you will make.

Welcome to TFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks! I thought that sounded a bit much! Yes we upgraded to get some more of the nicer things. Right now I have a small test kit but will be investing in the TF-100 after doing my research. Just need to get to the next pay day. :-D

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

To save yourself some possible headaches in the near future, you may want to list those "start up chemicals" the pool store gave you. If you are going to be using the BBB method of pool maintenance, (and you REALLY should) you might not want to add everything they have given you, or in the amounts they may have told you.

Your in great hands if you simply listen to the advice of the experts on this site and remain very cautious of pool store recommendations. You'll have the most sparkling pool in the neighborhood!

Thanks everyone! Yes I actually found this site before purchasing the pool. Also spent time talking to pool owning friends. The sales guy recommended bacqucil (I did not like it from my parents owning a pool). When we did the upgrade I told them I did not want that, but preferred chlorine. The other guy at the counter agreed and said he wouldn't sell bacqucil to his worst enemy. Not a fan of pool stores! They completely messed up my buying experience. I was looking at a specific pool. The sales guy quoted us the pool in steel wall and aluminum wall with a $700 difference. What he failed to mention was the steel wall was a different pool. Boy was it a shock to see a pool I didn't even look at sitting in my backyard. With a different liner. I've done a lot of research. I plan to use BBB in the spring when I open the pool. Will finish this season with the chemicals the store gave me (and yes I did get them on the house because of the "confusion")

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.