Worried about my new pool install

oacjr

Jul 5, 2013
I bought a 20ft round Excursion from Leslie's pool. Top of their line ($7.000.00) I hired a man to install the pool for me ($1,250.00) as I have a 14 inch dig on one side to level the pool. He started today and everything is looking good. He is using all the right equipment to level the blocks. Due to the fact you are not able to get any machinery in my back yard he is forced to dig and level the blocks and bottom rail by hand.
Here is my problem. It looks like he will have the blocks and rail level but the center will not be level. there are high and low spots from the hand tools used to dig it to level. He is telling me that he will use sand to make the bottom of the pool level. If you have a good base for your blocks and they are level along with the bottom rain is it smart to use sand to level the bottom inside of the pool?

They are back at 7:00am to finish up and I'm worried sick :(

The foot print of where the pool is should be the same grade, level. The blocks should be dug in and the bottom rail sitting on the ground. Inside of the bottom rail where the liner will be should also be at that same grade, level. There should be no high spots higher than the bottom rail. Then put the sand in. Usually 2 inches of sand. You want that sand thickness to pretty consistent.

That's how mine was done. Instead of sand I used screenings from a quarry. They pack better than sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Looks to me that there will be 2 up to 4 inches of sand needed to level the center bottom. The blocks and bottom rail are looking level and solid. He is telling me the sand will compact and be like cement once filled and will fill the uneven shovel marks.
Should I show him the door?

I hope you are getting one of our reccommended test kits. It will make your life alot easier maintaining you pool. Don't forget to read pool school, especially ABC's pool water chemistry.

Don't let the pool store manage your pool, you take control !!

oacjr said:
Looks to me that there will be 2 up to 4 inches of sand needed to level the center bottom. The blocks and bottom rail are looking level and solid. He is telling me the sand will compact and be like cement once filled and will fill the uneven shovel marks.
Should I show him the door?

Ok that sounds good. I think your good to go.

Oh C'mon... You can't get off that easy without posting all the gory details! SPILL IT! ::epds::

Ok, Here is the story.
Marked it off and removed the sod. Told me that he was trying to complete that day and would work till dark to complete if it was ok with me. I agreed :lol: Family operation with his kids doing most of the labor. (teenagers :blah: )
The end of day one is where I ask for advice here. :shock: We had a circle with massive grade changes. Up to 4 inches in places. Told me he would use sand to fill low spots in the bottom.
I visited with Eddie (I call him Eddie from Chevy Chase vacation movies) and he told me they would still do more leveling and not to worry. I agreed to let it go a bit longer.
After a full day of the teenagers fighting and acting up :hammer: :rant: One of the boys started to lay the blocks around 4:00pm. He just dug a hole and filled it with sand till he had it level side to side. Not level front to back. They had not even set up the bottom ring at all. A bill collector visited my home to collect his auto payment from him. The bottom rail was finally laid out and all of the blocks were way off centered. There was up to an inch and a half under the rail at spots and instruction clearly state that they must be at grade level.
At 9:eek:o pm the second day They all came over to our deck and sat down with wife and I and told me the pool would be completed on the third day with no problem.
This is the point I ask him how much for what he had done and ask him to leave.
I tried to post pictures of where he ended up but I need to work on my pic files first.
I will keep the interested informed and have some pictures soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you did the right thing in letting him go if he wasn't going to install it as the instructions call for. You want a pool that's safe and is going to last a long time... and you were willing to pay more for an upgraded ABG to insure that.

Unfortunately, working on houses, Hubby and I have had trouble finding good contractors for any kind of work. :(

John.. so true! If only we had the time, energy and ability to do all the work ourselves.

Hubby and I hired a guy to help us that was a "professional". I had read here about installation and knew most of the details of doing it right, but we needed help with the excavation, and we were concerned with installing a liner by ourselves the first time. He agreed to take a little less for the job if we helped him with the install. He did a good job at leveling and compacting the soil, but his equipment was old and kept failing. We were patient with him and the job got done. I think he was surprised I was as much help as I was... think he just expected Hubby to be his assistant. :lol:

About the only thing we did ourselves for our install was get the ground somewhat level. We put the pool where there is a steep grade, so there was a lot of digging involved. We bought our own backhoe (1970 Case 580C) and dug out all of the stumps and most of the dirt. We left probably just the last foot or so for the guy to do. He just had a Bobcat, so I don't know how he would have leveled everything. There's about a 5 foot difference from one side to the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.