started conversion then torrential rain, now what

Hi, I live in WI, as you may have seen on the national news we have had torrential downpours (about 10 inches in less than 48 hours). I had started conversion about 3 days before the rain and had the pool overnight once at 15ppm. Then the rains, had to drop the level of water twice and of course, no chlorine left after that, now what? Do we start over? We have a 27' round ag pool with a sand filter. Thanks for your help.

~Nikki

Glad you and your family are well.

Yes, start over. Having to lower the water level may have worked to your advantage since you were essentially replacing water and therefore lowering the baq levels as well.

Just get a full set of numbers so you know what you are starting with and then start adding the bleach.

Bring FC back up to 15 this evening and test again in the morning. If the FC level remains the same overnight and the CC level is below 5 you are good to replace the filter media and then start adding CYA.

Thank you very much. I am so hoping to have the pool ready for swimming by this weekend since school gets out on Friday. This is a great forum and very helpful. I am thrilled with all the advice and tidbits I have been able to glean. I "freecycled" what little bit of baqua stuff I had left after last season (and felt sorry for the lady who took it!) You guys offer a great service, thank you again. I will post my numbers tomorrow morning so keep your fingers crossed!

~Nikki

okey dokey. I can test the TC and the FC but I have no way to test the CC. However, if I test both of those and find the difference it should be CC, correct? And for some reason I just don't see the sparkly, but maybe that's just me. The water looks good, I can see the bottom but my liner is blue so it is hard to see sparkly. Maybe sparkly isn't here yet, what exactly is sparkly in an ag pool with a blue liner? Help me out here, I need a definition for sparkly!! :?

I can help with sparkley since I recently converted....sparkley is what you used to get when you added a bunch of floc to the filter and got rid of the baqua-haze for 12 hours. You can see the "sun lines" on the bottom of the pool at 8 am. Your neighbors and significant other remark that your pool looks like a jewel. You get in with goggles and say "OMG...I have NEVER seen my pool this clear!" Your blue liner looks DEEP BLUE...you will know it when you see it, believe me.

And yes, your calculation for TC = CC + FC is correct.

HTH.

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OMG!!! The sun is peeking out and is reflecting off our pool through our kitchen window onto the soffitt above the fridge . . . if that isn't sparkley then what is!!! And there it goes, well it was brief but beautiful while it lasted . . . no more rain . . . no more rain . . . no more rain . . . say it with me . . .

~Nikki

I have a new situation. My pool numbers were great, sparkleyness was achieved-all was well in pooldom. So, we put the solar cover on so we can warm the water for swimming. Now, the cc's are high again. The FC are still holding overnight. I have come to the conclusion that the chlorine is having to clean the cover because it was last on a baquacil pool. Do you think this can be correct? What do I do now, do I need to reshock the whole pool once it eats everything on the cover?

~Nikki

Sunlight helps keep the CC level down. Remove the solar cover and maintain proper FC levels and the CC level will go down. Or you can shock if you want. This will ease up when the last of the baq goo gets burned out in a few weeks.

I think he means your normal target of Free Chlorine, 15Ppm sounds like shock level. If you leave the cover off, and let the sun break down the cc's you won't need to shock. Or you can shock instead.

Hope that makes sense?

Well, the pool is beautiful. My son had a birthday pool party yesterday in our sparkling pool. Great fun was had by all. I can't thank you all enough for your help in the conversion process. We couldn't have done it without you! :goodjob: Now if only the water would warm up faster! (80 isn't warm enough for me!)

~Nikki

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.