Question about adding borates with an automatic pH regulator

Jun 25, 2013
greece
Hello from sunny Greece!!
I bought a house this year which had a pool (80000 liter, inground tile, overflow, 10 by 5,5 m, sand filter, 1Bhp pump)
The pool guy came in originally as the pool was a green swamp (literally it had 5 frogs in it!!) and after emptying it, cleaning (a lot ...) and repairing some tiles he refilled it. since it was the very first pool I have ever owned I didn't know absolutely anything about pools. I wanted the pool to run itself and asked him if it was possible. He said sure...so I bought and installed a Hayward Salt and Swim SWG (I didn't even read the manual at the time). He gave me a test kit with pH and OTTO TC to use twice a week to regulate the SWG , some shock to pour into the pool once every two weeks and some pH minus stuff. So far so good. For a couple of weeks the water was clear BUT the pH was (as you can imagine) getting way out of hand every time I measured it plus our chidrens' eyes were red all the time and one of them got an ear infection.
I called him and he suggested that I use more ph down. To make a long story short I bought and installed the Hayward ez ph automatic regulator. The next day after the installation the pool went dull. I decided to take matters into my hands, found this site, read pool school, ordered test kits etc. I asked him for cyanuric acid... He said he NEVER heard of it so I fired him. Anyway now I am running thanks to you guys a very nice BBB pool here in southern Greece. After shocking that one time my water got dull (following poolcalculator recommendations with Liquid chlorine 14%) the water has been crystal clear THANK YOU ,THANK YOU,THANK YOU
The funny thing is that here in Greece most people will run pools using trichlor tablettes by the tons but they are usually lucky to have enough splash out-evaporation and refill so that CYA does not get out of hand, plus the season is usually May to October and they always empty clean and refill their pools at new season!! Once they do get algae though they loose the rest of the season trying to fix it because they shock with dichlor!! ( and that is the pool company people...)
Apologizing for the long introducing post here is my question:
FC 5
TC 5
ph 7.5
TA 160
CH 250
CYA 70
Temp 29C
CSI -0,15
SALT 3200
Since I have an automatic pH regulator can I just add the boric acid (very cheap in greece 25kg for 44 Euro ($52) and regulate my ph to 7.2 and just wait for the TA to drop over time (my sci will be around -0,3) since I get a lot of aeration anyway (TA when I first started testing myself was 280) or should I wait for the TA to fall first?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this magnificent site :-D

Re: Question about adding borates with an automatic pH regul

Welcome to TFP!

Adding boric acid is just fine in that situation. The automatic PH regulation will take the tedium out of lowering the TA, eliminating any need to wait.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.