New pool walls produce clouds when rubbed

FourA

Jul 20, 2013
I have a new pool (120 days). every time you rub the walls a very small white cloud of smoke comes off into the water. The pool walls feel a bit slimy and slick but water is clear and the chemistry has been good since opening. Even with running the chlorine high this is still occurring every day. The only time I have seen algae is a few weeks ago in the hot top walls. It was gray/brown looking spots in the hot tub. (not sure how this occurred with pool being in balance and running high chlorine and uv system. Here are the specs on pool:

35k pool with attached hot tub that spills over
3 hp PentairBrad pump
DE filter but use cellulose fiber
Spectralight UV light
Running pool pump 24hrs a day

Chemistry
Salt 2900 ppm
Ph 7.3
Alkalinity 80
CYA 30
Chlorine 8
Calcium hardness 250.
Orp 640 to 650 when measured with handheld.

Any thought on what this slick stuff is on the wall that clouds when brushed with hand would be greatly appreciated. When I first saw this a few months back I thought it was algae so I started to run the pump longer and turned up the chlorine but this has not helped. I would think algae would not be a probable since I am also using UV. Stumped... Could it be the plaster? Thanks

That sounds just like plaster dust. The only thing unexpected is the slimy feel, but that is difficult to quantify, so it might not mean anything.

Having a UV system is not going to prevent you from getting algae, but nothing you have described actually sounds like algae.

Your PH is a bit too low given how low your CH level is. We recommend keeping PH between 7.5 and 7.8.

New plaster does shed dust quite a lot. According to the company that just did mine, for the first month it should be brushed daily and watch the filter pressure as it will climb as the dust is filtered.

Also the pH will continue to rise for the first 6 months so regular testing and adding acid is needed.

Regards
Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.