Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My little AGP was great until I put in PH PLUS

1. Back To Top    #1

My little AGP was great until I put in PH PLUS

What have I done?

I only have test strips but my PH according to the strips was 6.8 so I added what is called pH Plus(Label Sodium Carbonate)

Instantly the pool went from blue sparkling water to cloudy white and horrible.

What did I do wrong? Everything else seems to be fine apart from it being cloudy. I have now bought it up to shock level and it looks clearer until you move the water around then it goes cloudy again.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Post a full set of test results. I will bet that your calcium hardness is high and that you precitpitated out calcium carbonate, making the pool cloudy.
    THIS is why having a good test kit and good test results are important before adding chemicals!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have spoken to Dave about getting a good test kit out in the UK.

We only have test strips out here....

Pools is the next big thing out here.. Just our weather. Rain sun rain more rain..

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa1
    I have spoken to Dave about getting a good test kit out in the UK.

We only have test strips out here....

Pools is the next big thing out here.. Just our weather. Rain sun rain more rain..
    Palintest is available in the UK and they have a range of testkits for pools.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: My little AGP was great until I put in PH PLUS

Iam at my wits end now. Pump running 24/7 Ok Intex pump, Pool clear looks crystal blue. Then you get in the pool less then 5 mins and the pool is white and cloudy & very gritty under foot.

PH 7.2
    free Chrlonine 5
    total chlorine 4
    Total Hardness 400
    total alkalinty 130

I do have a solar cover on when running the pump with skimmer attached(leave a gap for the skimmer to collect water), Could this be the Problem?

When I didnt have the skimmer never had a problem... also never had low Ph before.

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to bring down your CH and/or TA levels. TA can be lowered with acid and aeration, see this Pool School article. CH can only be lowered by replacing water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool has not been used for 14 days( still checking daily and putting in Chlorine) could this be the cause??? with solar cover on?

Bad weather in the UK..

Today loads of kids in the pool splashing!! Just gutted that they seem to be swimming in cloudy water..

Less then 5 mins before it went cloudy, 4500 litres or is it just my pool is too small?