First test results are in...

Jun 28, 2013
Augusta, GA
TF-100 just arrived in the mail today. It was like Christmas! I was so tired of chasing this pool and trying to keep it nice without spending a fortune. Here are my first results:

FC-33 Very high, have been SLAMing the past couple of days and went overboard on the bleach
CC-0 I think I did the test correctly, added reagent until there was no more color change.
TC-33 I think I did the math correctly. 33+0=33
CYA- 100 Again, I think I did the test correctly. I did it twice and got the same result. Is this too high?
TA-20 I know this is low
PH- Below 6.8, but not much
CH-20 I know this does not matter to my vinyl pool, but wanted to test to compare to the test strips.

So..., I know I have much work. Water is no longer green, and I can just make out the pebble pattern on the floor. I think I am ready to do the OCLT tonight. Am I missing anything?

For comparison, I will display the results from the test strips I have been using (automatic iPhone app.)

FC-10 I think it only goes to 10
PH- 6.4 Sounds right
TA-40 Close
CH-25 Accurate
Here is the kicker: CYA-0 That's right, I measured 100 with the TF-100. all I can say is wow.

So how am I looking? Thank for the help!

--Thomas

Check Pool School for extended test procedures.

When testing for CC (combined chlorine), right after you test FC you add 5 drops of the R-0003. If there is a color change back to pink, add R-0871, counting drops until again clear. This gives you the CC reading.

CYA is high, yes. Looks like you have another high water bill in your future. You will need to do (probably several) drain and refill cycles to get that down to manageable levels. Do you have a SWG on your pool? If not, you would be shooting for 40-50 ppm CYA.

Your TA and pH need to come up. Pool school for how. 6.8 means 6.8 OR LOWER, as that is only as far as the reagent can assess.

Yes, I did the CC test correctly. The water seemed to have the slightest hint of color, but more drops never made it more clear.

I know what I have to do to get the levels to a proper level, according to the pool calculator. Pool calculator recommends 50, but I don't really want to drain that much water out. Also, no SWG, I will be using bleach (BBB) so I only expect my CYA level to decrease as water gets added from the rain and periodic topping off. Given the previous information, what is the minimum I should drain off and refill? Sounds like a good time to vacuum to waste! Again, thanks for all the help!

--Thomas

Yes, vacuum to waste would be a good idea.

Your CYA will remain at high levels, the only way to lower it is through drain and refill. Rain doesn't have enough effect on it, nor does adding an inch or two in your volume of water.

Most of us drain 1/3, and test again after the new water had had an hour or three to circulate and mix in. You may have to repeat a time or two, a test result of 100 means it is that or higher. You can do a dilution test 1:1 pool:tap water and multiply result by 2. If still over 100 go 2:1 tap:pool and multiply by 3. Caveat: this will affect the accuracy of the test.

Draining off the water as we speak. I am going to wait for the water level to come back up to start worrying about the other chemical levels. I wish it were draining faster, I feel like I am so close to getting a handle on the chemistry of my pool!

--Thomas

About halfway done with refilling the pool and just got done doing another test. Results:

FC-26
CC-0
TA-30
CYA-80
PH<6.8

If I can get the CYA level down to 60, I think I should be happy with that. Other than that, I will get the TA level up and raise my PH once my FC level stabilizes. I do not anticipate loosing much FC tonight, but the OCLT will verify that.

Had a neighbor try to tell me that bleach is bad for the pool, that I should be using tabs. I mentioned that my CYA levels were already high, and she was lost. Didn't feel like trying to convince her she was wrong, I get the feeling that I would have gotten nowhere with her. I will let my anticipated results speak for themselves.

--Thomas

If you get the CYA to 60 that's manageable.

The neighbor might come around when she sees how good your water looks and how easy it is to keep it that way.

Good job !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last test for the day:

FC-18
CC-0
TA-20
CYA-60
PH-<6.8

I will wait for mu FC level to get to about 7, based off my CYA, then do the OCLT. Am I on the right page? I plan on adding 296oz of Baking Soda and 73oz of 20Mule tomorrow.

Am I missing anything?

--Thomas

Good job. I would say you've got a good handle on it. Nice job on the CYA too. When everything gets balanced it will be a breeze.

Don't let that FC fall below 5. 5-9 is your maintaince range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You've been SLAMming, right? Keep the FC at SLAM levels based on your CYA of 60. If it passes the OCLT at SLAM levels, you can let it drop down. Don't let it drop until it passes.

danacc said:
You've been SLAMming, right? Keep the FC at SLAM levels based on your CYA of 60. If it passes the OCLT at SLAM levels, you can let it drop down. Don't let it drop until it passes.

I guess I was anxious to let the levels drop down. I added another inch or two of water and did another FC test, got 16PPM so I added 3 quarts of 5.25 bleach. I will test again in 30 minutes and hope it shows 18PPM. If it does, then I will test again in the morning before the sun comes up and hope I have no FC loss.

--Thomas

I'm working on my pool-owner-patience, too. You're very, very close; here's hoping for a minimal drop in the morning! :cheers:

But...if you're not quite there, keeping that FC up will get you there all the quicker.

So, after I added the bleach last night, I got a reading of 20ppm FC. I guess I added a tad too much, no worries though. This morning I tested I got 19ppm FC and .5ppm CC. I got up a little late, the sun was out for a couple of hours before I tested, would that contribute to any FC loss? I know the SLAMming process is over when FC loss is less than 1ppm, and that is where I am at. Am I ready for the OCLT at a normal FC level?

--Thomas

Water looks great! I will post some pictures when I get home later.

I really can not thank everyone here enough for all the help. I have been digesting every bit of information on this site for the past few weeks and have not found an issue with any of it. The only issue I think I will have is trying to not sound like a pool snob when I hear about pool owners using bad practices.

--Thomas

As you learn the ideas and techniques we teach, you progress through three stages....

Pool Newbie
Pool Nerd
Pool Snob

You seem to have progressed quite rapidly to Pool Snob...Congratulations! :party:

It's beginning to look like we may have to have a Pool Snob convention soon......there's getting to be a whole bunch of us! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.