everything tests okay but water a bit cloudy

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
I just tested chlorine and bromine, pH, total alkalinity, total hardness, and cyanuric acid and everything was in the recommended range. the water seems just a tad cloudy still though. any thoughts on what might be causing it. the last time the filter was replaced it wasnt rinsed firstI don't know if its just that or how to fix that. this is a 16x48 above ground pool from intex

Bring it back to shock level. I had the exact same problem this year. It was clear the next AM. I didn't want to, but I used 2 bags of super chlorinating powder (shock). It brought it up to level and cleared out the cloud. You could also use bleach. I just had the stuff from years past and used it.

Bromine can't be stabilized against sunlight, so it is not a good choice for outdoor pools. It isn't impossible to use it outdoors, but you will lose a great deal of active bromine to sunlight, meaning higher chemical costs overall.

Just found that in an older post by Jason Lion. FYI

I am assuming that you have the HTH 6-way test kit.

You can get the FAS-DPD test reagents separately, from http://tftestkits.net/

For SLAMing your pool, read in pool school, linked in upper right of every page. The FAS-DPD is a must for clearing cloudy/green water, as it is able to test much higher and more accurately than the OTO kits.

What were the test results you mentioned?

Also, could you put your pool and test kit info into your signature? It would help us to help you. Sig line can be edited through the user control panel, linked in upper left corner.

yes I do have 6 way kit you mentioned. I'll check out the link you sent me. I don't remember the exact numbers by know chlorine and pH were great, the others were on the lower end of the recommended scale if I remember correctly

The same OTO test tests both chlorine and bromine. It gets confusing when people mention bromine if they are not using it, so just make sure you call it the chlorine test next time.

Who's recommended ranges are we talking, TFP ranges or another source? If you could post the actual results that would be helpful.

Honestly, if you can afford to, you should get the TF-100, with XL option and SpeedStir. Guaranteed you will love the kit!

In the mean time, you could test again, mainly the TC and pH, but a full set of numbers would be helpful. I understand the 6-way only has enough CYA reagent for a few tests, but that one will be key to clearing your pool. That will determine what your SLAM level needs to be.

I shocked it yesterday so the reading this morning for chlorine is in the three to six range for pH 7.2 for total alkalinity 60 and a total hardness of 140 which is lower than it was yesterday (was 200) not sure if that's because of the Shock or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think we help you get your water cleared. What is your CYA level? This is the most important piece of information before going forward, the number everything else will be based on.

It sounds like you are doing a "traditional shock" where you just add a bunch of chlorine at once, am I correct? What source of chlorine are you using to shock? If it's a powder, what is the active ingredient listed on the front?

Traditional shocking is usually inadequate to completely clear a pool, that is why the SLAM process was created. It is the best procedure to clearing everything out that can cause cloudiness and help to prevent future problems. Read up on it, it is a great help: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Sorry forgot about cya, when i tested it yesterday it didn't even register on the test so had to be less than 30 (believe that the lowest number that test tells youfrom that kit).
I used that hth shock the one with the blue label not the red

Ok, I missed that part. That test kit is fine, except for missing the FAS-DPD test for chlorine. It will be impossible to know that you have met all 3 criteria for ending SLAM without it. You should consider ordering the FAS-DPD test, so you can make sure you pass all 3 criteria and will not have any more problems in the future.

I wonder if this has more to do with my filter now that I look at it some more. it doesn't seem to be sucking water in like it should. by the lower valve I can hear the water almost but everything seems tight like it should be. I wonder if I need a new hose or connector valve thing that hangs outside the pool that the hose connects to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.