911-- immediate resuscitation needed!

Oct 2, 2007
DE
Help-- I hope we have a paramedic on call.

I got one dilemma solved, on to the next...
I took some readings..

My pool actually looks fine-- some leaves got in last night when we took off the cover. The water has some bad readings and I need help, quick!

Here they are;

FC-0
CC-0
TC-0
Ph-<6.8
T/A-60
CYA-0

I am in need of some things. I have borax and baking soda and some bleach. I need anything else you prescibe, doctors.

Thanks-
Blessed with a pool
Suzanne

Blessed- with a pool said:
Help-- I hope we have a paramedic on call.

I got one dilemma solved, on to the next...
I took some readings..

My pool actually looks fine-- some leaves got in last night when we took off the cover. The water has some bad readings and I need help, quick!

Here they are;

FC-0
CC-0
TC-0
Ph-<6.8
T/A-60
CYA-0

I am in need of some things. I have borax and baking soda and some bleach. I need anything else you prescibe, doctors.

Thanks-
Blessed with a pool
Suzanne

You need some chlorine, pronto. Go ahead and add enough to give you 2ppm for your pool volume. You also need to get your PH up. Add enough borax to get to 7.4, again, based on your pool volume. This shouldn't affect your TA, which is fine for a vinyl lined pool.

It will take some time to get the CYA in, so make sure you add your bleach at night. Go ahead and add some now, to prevent an algae bloom from starting, then again tonight as what you add this afternoon will likely be lost to the sun.
Either add enough CYA for your pool volume to get you to 30-50ppm, either directly into the skimmer or in a sock suspended in the pool, depending on your situation. Remember, it takes up to a week for CYA to fully dissolve, so no backwashing or cleaning your filter after you add it for at least a week.

You need to keep an very close eye on your FC levels until you get some CYA in. Then just a close eye on it after :)

Good Luck :)

You're welcome :)

Suzanne, you can get CYA at a pool store, but also at Walmart. It's marketed as stabilizer, but look at the label and it should say 90+% cyanuric acid. Commonly comes in 4# jugs.

To get to 40 ppm for your pool (based on your stated volume in your sig line) you need 5.25#. Also from Jason's pool calculator, you need roughly a 1/2 gal of 6% bleach to get 2 ppm and 156 oz of borax to get your PH up to 7.4, which should be very close to 2 boxes of 20 mule team borax.

Get some bleach and the borax in asap. The bleach to prevent algae from taking hold, and the borax to get your PH up quick, as a PH below 7 is bad for vinyl liners.

OK--Upgrade is good. I will need to get used to it as I had a hard time getting my computer to go to the forum. It didnt go to it when I clicked on it.

This morning I had

FC- 3.5
cc- .5
Ph- 7.5
TA- 9

CYA- between 20 and 30

I had posted a few questions yesterday and never had time to check for a response-- and it is gone so I will try and ask a few of those again.

When I test for CC I am getting a tinge of pink and then on the first drop it goes to clear. Is that ok? or should it stay clear?

I just started doing CYA and then last night I saw the chart comparing the FC to CYA levels-- Is that a sticky? I had a harder time finding it this morning.

I had added that puck for about 24 hours- puck discussion and my temporary insanity is lost in the upgrade-- then I added 4 lbs of CYA the whole container. I wasn't sure how much, if any, got in with the puck. How long do I wait before I test and know that I have an accurate test for my CYA? I put it in yesterday morning- a week? I think that I will probably need a little more.

That is it for now. I need to go-- my boys have VBS this morning and I have to wake them up and get going.

Thanks for all the help especially for staying open during the switch over.
I will come back later on this afternoon.

Have a good day.
Suzanne

PS I can't find a spell check yet, so sorry for the mistakes.

One drop to clear CC is fine. Only worry about CC if it is higher than 0.5.

You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to figure out an appropriate FC level given your CYA level. The old table also still appears as a topic near the top of the Chemistry 101 area. There will be a new, simpler, table in the Pool School area soon.

Wait one week after adding CYA before testing the CYA level again.

Your TA is probably not 9. Did you forget to multiply the number of drops by 10? If your TA really is 9, you need to adjust it. If it is 90 then you are fine for now.

SWG: Normal: to Shock: Mustard Algae Shock:
Suggested target FC levels based on the current CYA level for outdoor pools.
Note: Be careful if your CYA is really and truly zero!

-------------------------------------

I copied this Suggested FC level based on CYA section from your calculator-- except the four amounts, for some reason, did not copy. I do not understand where I put my CYA number.

Also what damage did I do when my CYA was truly 0. Last fall I shocked it at 15ppm for about 2 weeks when I was doing my conversion-- I didn't have any CYA then. I did notice that I have a lot of little bleached out areas on the floor of my liner. Do you think it is going to wear through before the end of the season?

Yes, I used Chemgeek's chart to figure it out. Is 3.5 ppm correct for my CYA that is, as of this morning, between 20 and 30?

oooo-- you are right, my TA is 90 not 9. :oops:

Things look great right now- Can we swim now?
I really appreciate your help.

Blessings
Suzanne

You can swim :bounce: :bounce: , and your target looks good. :-D

Um, that much bleach with no CYA was during a conversion I don't think is an issue, in fact the recommendation to convert is not to have CYA in there during the process. Not sure what could have caused it. Did you use any granular shock prior to adding bleach? Could that have settled in those areas, bleaching the spots?

What about during closing?

Just keep an eye on them for brittleness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my Pool Calculator, you enter your current CYA level in the now column of the yellow CYA row. The recommended levels are then displayed in the blue Suggested FC levels area you already found.

The FC levels used in baquacil conversions do pose a small risk to a vinyl liner. Typically you get some slight fading, occasionally serious fading. The life time of the liner should not be significantly affected.

JasonLion said:
In my Pool Calculator, you enter your current CYA level in the now column of the yellow CYA row. The recommended levels are then displayed in the blue Suggested FC levels area you already found.

The FC levels used in baquacil conversions do pose a small risk to a vinyl liner. Typically you get some slight fading, occasionally serious fading. The life time of the liner should not be significantly affected.

I just thought I'd share that my liner faded more in years 2-4 from using granular shock and "winterizing kits" and not letting the chems dissolve and circulate properly. I've noticed no difference in my liner since switching to bleach.... just my .02 cents worth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.