CYA and solar panel

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Don't have a problem myself. Thanks to this forum for advice.
But was just curious and always learning.
I have had an ag pool for 25 years and rarely had a problem that shock would not take care of.
Always used the pucks and could maintain my small 18 ft x 4 ft ag pool with average of about 10 minutes one time a week. 10 minutes to vac every 2 weeks, 5 to 10 minutes to test and add chemical every 2 weeks. And the pool always looked clear, clean best one on the block. Also one hour to close or open pool. And new liner after about every 8 years. And new Ag pool which is buried 24” in ground after 20 years.
Could not ask for something with so little maintenance that provided so much enjoyment.
So after 25 years I should know what I need to do and know it all, right?
Wrong, really did not know much beyond the basics. Maybe just lucky.
Just about 2 years ago started to have the too much stabilizer with pool problem, and then algae. So came here and did some more learning, and think I am back on track. Just a lot more maintenance with messing with the bleach.

But anyway heres what I was curious about.
Friend has a 21 ft x 4 ft AG pool with skimmer and bottom drain & 1 hp pump. I had a problem using 1 puck every week.
He always uses about 3 a week. Uses the cheap pool test kit like I used to. His opinion on a good looking pool is just a very little less than mine. But it still always looks good and has a lot more tree leaves to deal with. Does the same thing I used to with testing with a bad kit every 2 weeks.
I explained to him my problems and the bleach method. But he is like I would have been before my problems. If his way a far less maintenance, why mess with bleach. If it isn’t broke don't fix it.
I got some was his water for the fun of it and check with my Taylor kit. His stabilizer was only 50 when I was using far less pucks and mine was higher at 90.

I know I need to shut up now and get to my question.
Can a Solar Panel with the very hot water get rid of stabilizer?

Few years ago after having to replace the cheap black plastic solar mats every couple of years. I helped him make one 60 ft x 4 ft out of Pex piping. He has a 60 ft long garage close to the pool so has the roof sq ft. Works great, a one time solar panel and we just covered with ice & water shield since we knew pex can't handle UV light.
I myself don’t have the roof space and don't want the little eye sore on my actual house. Wish I had a 20 ft detached garage much less a 60 ft long one.
He does have to still run water thru it during the summer. But just barely at a trickle. Otherwise gets too hot the water can burn you. He worried about getting to hot and melting something.

Thanks

If your friend has a sand filter and vacuums to waste frequently, or vacuums and runs a long backwash and rinse after, then he may be replacing enough water to keep the CYA levels in check. It is also possible that water lost during winter and replaced at opening brings the CYA low enough at the start of the season that it doesn't build up too high over summer.

zea3 said:
If your friend has a sand filter and vacuums to waste frequently, or vacuums and runs a long backwash and rinse after, then he may be replacing enough water to keep the CYA levels in check. It is also possible that water lost during winter and replaced at opening brings the CYA low enough at the start of the season that it doesn't build up too high over summer.
We both drain down to just below skimmer. He never has vaccumed to waste. Less splashout on his. He is now a single guy in his 50's.
But if no other ideas possiable, and looking at what you guys are asking.
He could be adding a little more water to his than I would because of leaks. There is no sign of a leak but sounds like this is the only thing that makes sense.
Can't really compare how much water one adds unless really a lot. With a bottom drain and extra return and lines for solar panels. He has a much greater chance of having a very slow leak somewhere.
Temps over 90. Rain 3 times a week for the past 2 months. A small leak would be hard to notice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.