Evaporation or leaking? - Large Water Loss

Jun 24, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I built a solar heater this year out of 200 feet of copper black copper pipe and a utility pump, and my pool has been remaining at a toasty 88 degrees over the last few weeks. However, I am socked at the rate of water loss. I know warm water evaporates faster, but this fast?

Is it normal for 1-2 inches of water to evaporate over a 48 hour period? This is with direct sunlight from about 11:30am through 4:30pm or 5 hours a day. It has also been in the 90's the last few days.

I am not using a solar cover because mine is junk and nasty - a lot of the "bubbles" are filling with algae, so I think its just eating my chlorine anyways, plus ive been swimming every day... So I know the cover helps prevent evaporation, but I don't want to use it.

I have been worried that my old vinyl liner is just starting to develop slow leaks everywhere - or possibly the plumbing underground somewhere. For example, the seals around my stairs seem to be extremely prone to algae build up, I was wondering if water could be leaking right through. Would there be any evidence of underground leaking? Additionally, air is getting into the plumbing somewhere, evidenced by small air bubbles continuously coming through the jets. Is that a sign that there is a hole in the pipes somewhere?

Thanks everyone, I don't want to spend too much on water this year!!

duraleigh said:
Is it normal for 1-2 inches of water to evaporate over a 48 hour period
No. You have a leak.

You also have inadequate chlorine because you can see algae in your pool and you have a suctrion side air leak causing the bubbles.

Find the leak first.

How does one find a leak in a pool?

Second, if it is underground plumbing - how does one fix it?

OK, so I've been reading a lot, now I'm testing to see whether the water level drops during the day, or if only at night (when my pump is off to not bother sleeping neighbors)..

I believe it is leaking at night when the pump is off now because this morning when I went out is when i noticed the major water loss, so I'll mark the water level with a sharpie today with the pump running all day - and see where it is at the end of the day.

Then I'll have it off tonight and see how much water is lost over tonight.

And this should tell me whether or not I have a pressure side leak. If it drops with pump AND without, I have a seal leak in the pool somewhere - and if it doesnt leak at all while the pump is running, I have a suction side leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.