No need for a bucket test...it's a leak (and pump issue)

Jun 23, 2013
Brooklyn, CT
Have had a small leak (see below) that was progressively getting worse. Lost 1.5 to 2 inches of water overnight and I immediately shut down the pump (not running dry and still working) and turned on the hose.
(EDIT: there is no apparent leakage --at the moment-- without the water circulating - so leak is at least intermittent)

HOWEVER, while the pump was running fine when I shut it down - it only hums when I turn it back on.

photos here @ snapfish:
http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/t...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

photos @ FLICKR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18482442@N02/sets/72157634711922077/

Questions

1) is it safe to assume the leak should be very close to where the water is coming out? (because I can't find a hole)
2) How do I start trouble shooting this pump issue?

Thanks in advance.

Re: No need for a bucket test...it's a leak

Much better.

Judging by a few other leak threads I've read, you might want to put your goggles on and inspect the liner along the coping in the area. If you find nothing there, check the wall, then floor.

Charlie_R said:
Much better.

Judging by a few other leak threads I've read, you might want to put your goggles on and inspect the liner along the coping in the area. If you find nothing there, check the wall, then floor.

prelim checks led to nothing - couldn't feel or see anything notable

Is it safe to assume I am looking in the right place if I'm looking (inside wall) within 5 feet in either direction of where it's presenting outside?

I will do a more complete check this afternoon (including floor).

Do not post the same or similar question twice. I have deleted the other thread you started.

Please add any additional information you wish but keep it under this thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK - pump finally came on again this evening (after humming every time I tried it throughout the day), at this point I am not asking any questions :wink:

however after not leaking all day (with the pump off) the water is escaping from the same spot (with it on)

I have a theory

I used a temporary "stop-gap" measure on a slow leak on the return, a few weeks ago I used some plumbers putty to seal around the return until I can replace it in the fall (I thought it worked ok and would last 8 to 10 weeks).

Now I am thinking that instead of leaking below the return, the water is moving between the wall and liner starting at the return -- even though the the leak is presenting 10-15 feet away (about 90 degrees around the pool).

Any thoughts on whether this is possible or even likely?

Either way I think I may ve faced with replacing the return sooner instead of later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.