Winter - How should I plug the intake/return Intex EasySet

I have a 18x48" Intex EasySet. The water to fill the pool cost $300 and the pool cost less than that so I'm planning on leaving it up thru the winter. I've read wintering in pool school and I already have a tarp and I'm planning in getting a few air pillows. I'll bring the pump and hoses inside but I was wondering what I should plug the intake and return with so they don't crack when it freezes.

My initial thought was to remove the entire plunger assembly and install a bulkhead PVC fitting with a PVC cap on the pool water side to keep all water out of the connection.

Do you guys know what the diameter of the openings might be? I have the larger size Intex hoses (when I hooked up the 2650 Intex sand filter I didn't have to use the reduction couplings).

Any other ideas to consider?

...we are enjoying our first week in the pool but wanting to be prepared for winter before it arrives.

Re: Winter - How should I plug the intake/return Intex EasyS

Did the pool come with these?

$T2eC16RHJGEFFmd1NtCnBRhiLUOPv!~~60_35.JPG

They plug the holes in the pool when you take the hoses off.

I would be willing to bet Wal_Mart has them. I know my pool store has them.

Is your pool the steel pipes or the pillow top? If steel side, reduce water below the intakes and outtakes. then plug with the plugs. Winterize and you should be good to go. I do it in Upstate NY (Buffalo area) If it is a pillow top not recommended. Neighbor did it and the pillow top froze inside from condensation and burst. She has a new pool this year. We also have to truck in water as we are on a well with high iron. Our water is 400 for 1st load and then if lucky you can split cost with another person for 2nd load to fill pool.

My pool is the kind with the inflatable ring. Here in VA we usually have mild winters so I think I'll chance it leaving the pool up. Although our well has low copper and iron it is shallow and using that much water would take a long time and/or could damage the well.

The plugs you referenced didn't come with my pool I think they are for intex pools with smaller diameter inlets. According to what I've read they are also for temporary use without a tightening mechanism or threads they don't seem to be a good winter solution.

Shouldn't a bulkhead work?

I would still think you need to reduce the amount of water below the inlets so as not to burst the pool. You still get freeze temps there and the expand contract of the ice will do damage. ( I know this mine burst) Then let the rains fill in from spring and do a super SLAM to clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.