Hose spigot on pool plumbing

FTC3

Jul 7, 2012
Las Vegas
I need to do some changes to my pool plumbing on the pad. I've noticed some folks have a hose spigot plumbed into their equipment.

Is this something I should install since I'm doing some changes anyway? Would ideal be
1. After pump / before filter or
2. After filter?

Thx

A hose spigot provides a way to drain water from the pool. They are typically installed between the pump and the filter, though they will still work almost as well installed after the filter. I prefer to have a three way valve, as a full diameter pipe and blocking all flow to the filter will drain excess water from the pool far more quickly.

It is a little tricky to see, but in this picture:
[attachment=0:3ubymd2o]Equipment.jpg[/attachment:3ubymd2o]
The pipe coming up out of the pump goes to a three way valve. The left side of that valve goes to the filter, and the right side goes out under the floor to the street. I just turn the valve, and I am pumping to waste.

Attachments

• Equipment.jpg
    Equipment.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 178
Anthony-Sylvan puts them on all their pools. It's certainly not for draining in my case, as I have a multi-port and a waste line, which works ten times as well. A/S used it for the initial pressure test, and really had little else to say about it. I find it handy as I use my large air compressor in my basement to winterize. I use a gender bender at the pool spigot and run garden hose 150' to the compressor and put 25lbs. of air into it. Then I use the hose spigot to blow out the pipes one by one. Saved me buying 150' of air hose and works great. Presumably it would make a good way to prime the pump, but my pump is below water level so I don't need that.

Otherwise, I have no clue what it's good for. I certainly would not have been greatly inconvenienced if it hadn't been there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.