burning chlorine

lkrus

Mar 31, 2012
I have a 16x48 agp and I use the HTC liquid chlorine
This week has been s jot one for northwest Indiana with 90 deg days my FC is dropping daily from 8 to 3 on average today was 1.5 my cya was 40 5 days ago is this normal? And would hawing tabs be better?

We scoff at your puny 90 degrees ;) Anyway, the temperature does not have too much affect on the loss of FC to the sun. But, the intensity of the sun does.

You need to ensure you never let the FC drop below the minimum, which yours now has. So, stuff could be growing in the water consuming the FC or the sun is now more intense, or both.

You could verify the water is still OK with a OCLT ... that will tell you if you need to SLAM or should just raise the CYA some to protect the FC better.

Algae, bather waste (sun screen included), and other environmental factors all contribute to chlorine loss. Like jbizzle said sun may be your biggest factor. The easy factor to stay on top of is Algae so the OCLT may be the best place to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.