My pool builder said bleach..

Jun 19, 2013
When I told the pool builder ive used bleach for my previous pool he said I wouldnt do that it could cause yellowish stains because of bla bla bla.. Has anyone ever had a negative result with bleach? He said I would use shock, u dont even need to buy it from us, go buy it at sams.

Oh my God!.......I'm on my 4th year of doing it completely wrong according to him!------------- No issues--trust us. Just put a pencil sized stream in front of an upturned return nozzle.

I ask for sources to anti-bleach comments. So far the closest I have gotten to a source was finding some guy on Yahoo! Answers saying not to use it. I am not going to count that.

thelorib said:
yeh I keep pucks in the chlorine feeder and shock with bleach every Sunday...
Brace yourself. Comments are coming.

thelorib said:
yeh I keep pucks in the chlorine feeder and shock with bleach every Sunday...

^^ That throws up a lot of red flags.

Clearly you are not really following our recommendations, but I suppose if it is working for you ..........

Has your CYA gotten out of control yet?

{Too funny Donldson :lol:}

We have now spoken with 3 builders about a pool and I am honestly staggered at how little two of them knew about pool water chemistry. One, not so bad, but industry myths and seldom challenged beliefs do persist. That builder is is 100% dead wrong.

Donaldson...I have to agree with Jason...too funny. You leave some comical stuff around here sometimes and it makes me laugh.

Brushpup said:
Donaldson...I have to agree with Jason...too funny. You leave some comical stuff around here sometimes and it makes me laugh.
Why thank you Brushpup and jblizzle. With all the stories of people being pool stored, or pool storing themselves ("well I will just dump a bunch of stuff in and see what happens"), I gotta lighten the mood sometimes. Not take life so seriously, right? :cheers:

I'm looking forward to (in the semi-distant future) working with an IG pool builder. I doubt I will discuss chemistry too much with him if I can avoid it. Sometimes it's just best to avoid the situation and just let them build the darn thing. I have my idea folder waiting for that day!

My husband was recently talking to a relative and telling them how I use bleach to sanitize our pool. This relative told my husband that you shouldn't let her listen to any forum because the bleach will ruin the vinyl liner. My response to my hubby when he told me.....ummm he's pool stored......hahahaha. I know what my chemicals do to my pool !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK... if BLEACH ( a 3-12% solution of sodium hypochlorite in water) is soooo bad for the pool, what do they call the solution of sodium hypochlorite that is created when they add a bag of "shock" to the pool?

To go a little further....when done correctly there is no reason to suspect bleach will do any damage to your liner. It is basically no different than liquid chlorine.

With that said, I recall reading something here that it may be possible to stain/fade your liner if too much is poured too fast and without the pump running. You should always be pouring slow enough for it to all get caught in the return stream and not go straight through it. It sounds most likely to happen if someone was doing the SLAM process and always added all their liquid in the same spot that was not in front of a return jet.

scott.MI said:
I recall reading something here that it may be possible to stain/fade your liner if too much is poured too fast and without the pump running.
If there is truly zero CYA any unstabilized chlorine can cause liner and swimsuit fading, solid or liquid. Ran in to this with a friend who took my advice to chlorinate her new pop up pool with cal-hypo instead of trichlor. We forgot to add some stabilizer, not only was the sun burning off the chlorine by noon but swimsuits were fading slightly. Oops. If you dump a bunch of any chlorine source in one spot you will get the same potential liner problems as if you dump a any other source in one spot.

DeeMac said:
My husband was recently talking to a relative and telling them how I use bleach to sanitize our pool. This relative told my husband that you shouldn't let her listen to any forum because the bleach will ruin the vinyl liner. My response to my hubby when he told me.....ummm he's pool stored......hahahaha. I know what my chemicals do to my pool !!

yeah, ive got a father in law that has the 26x52 intex, he is pool stored and always asks when we go over to his house "so hows your and the kids' skin these days, a little dry from the bleach?

to which i reply "fine, hows your wallet situation these days, a little empty from the pool store? :lol: also, I see your pool is still a little murky from those pucks....if you would like to see your feet while your swimming, come over to my house... :cheers:

some people just cant be "un-pool stored," laugh at them quietly, and move on... :party:

scott.MI said:
To go a little further....when done correctly there is no reason to suspect bleach will do any damage to your liner. It is basically no different than liquid chlorine.

With that said, I recall reading something here that it may be possible to stain/fade your liner if too much is poured too fast and without the pump running. You should always be pouring slow enough for it to all get caught in the return stream and not go straight through it. It sounds most likely to happen if someone was doing the SLAM process and always added all their liquid in the same spot that was not in front of a return jet.

It might fade a liner in the right situation but it is also a certainty that a floater full of pucks sitting next to an edge for too long will fade the liner as well. And you are right, there is no difference in liquid chlorine and bleach. One is the other, no matter how you slice it. It's just what you call it. No difference. Liquid 3% is bleach, and so is 12.5%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.