PLEASE HELP! New pool turned hazy overnight

Jul 19, 2013
Two days ago i set up a Summer Escape pop up pool. We started to fill it that night and I placed a chlorine floater with 3" tab in it. The next morning we fill a little more prior to work. That night when my husband got home I had him turn the filter on realizing that we probably should have turned it on that night even though the pool was not completely full, when I go home an hour or so later it appeared to have gone hazy and loss that sparkle the first day. (just an FYI its been in the 90's here and extreme humidity and the pool is in direct sun all day) I tested the pool with HTH 6 way test strips and the PH and alkaline is very low but everything else was in the normal range. I used a shock treatment and re tested this morning and it still appears to be the same and still hazy. I went to walmart this morning and bought pretty much every HTH pool product them make but looking for some suggestions before I start dumping stuff in. A pool store told me to get my PH up but reading on like other say get the alkaline up first?? There is so much conflicting info I get more and more confused the more I read. Any suggestions I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

That is a pretty small pool (it is what I started with). If you are interested in the chemistry and/or are planning to get a larger pool in the future, then the tf-100 test kit still could be a good choice. But you can drain and refill that pool very easily (and the pool is fairly low cost) so the HTH kit may make more sense...you might even get by with a 2-way drop based test kit as long as you keep track of your cya additions.

Figured it was a good starter pool and perfect for my 3yr old. Well hopefully bringing the ph up will clear the pool I want crystal clear water like my dads pool it looks so pretty and way more inviting to swim in. Thank you so much for you help and I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Bringing the ph up won't clear it, but you should do that first and get it up to 7.2. What you need to clear the pool is the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

If you know how much cya you have put in your pool (or not added any), then you find you SLAM FC level. Stabilzer/conditioner, trichlor (often in puck form), and dichlor (often granular in form) all add cya. Have you used any of that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.