Long swg run times needed

Jul 9, 2013
Mod Edit: I split your post off, since as ping said, there is something not right with your swg schedule setup or your understanding of it. Moderator linen

WOW, Long post,
My thoughts: Being new to SWG, I was runnning into the same problems , I would have my pump running for 12hrs a day throughing in shock and etc. using a taylor test my FC would be 1.5 - 2ppm after adding bags of shock. Here is what I found out after looking at a chart on how much clorine my cell makes in 24hrs vs FC lost per day.
I wasn't making enough!! and my pump out put was too low.
Before = on my vs pump = 1800 RPM 12hrs a day. cell out 80%. FC would dropp -off everyday.
Now = Pump is at : (75% output) 2700rpm 23.5 hrs a day Cell is running at 95% My FC is now constant at 4 to 4.5

Re: New SWG, having trouble

newyork art31 said:
WOW, Long post,
My thoughts: Being new to SWG, I was runnning into the same problems , I would have my pump running for 12hrs a day throughing in shock and etc. using a taylor test my FC would be 1.5 - 2ppm after adding bags of shock. Here is what I found out after looking at a chart on how much clorine my cell makes in 24hrs vs FC lost per day.
I wasn't making enough!! and my pump out put was too low.
Before = on my vs pump = 1800 RPM 12hrs a day. cell out 80%. FC would dropp -off everyday.
Now = Pump is at : (75% output) 2700rpm 23.5 hrs a day Cell is running at 95% My FC is now constant at 4 to 4.5
Start your own thread, something is not right. It could be one or more factors and we can help troubleshoot what is wrong. You should not have to run all day to make enough chlorine for your pool. RPM has nothing to do with how much chlorine the SWG outputs. Most go by pump on time and the output % on the SWG.

The pump rpm should not impact the chlorine produced by the swg. However, the longer run time will (even with the slightly lower output setting). That is a really high rpm setting for normal chlorination/circulation.

What is your cya level?

Interesting on the pump output,,, So with a variable speed pump I should set it up ???? turn over the pool water X-times in 24hrs??
CYA level may just be under 30 . When I tested using the taylor kit pouring the water into the tube untill the black disappers (viewing from the top) maybe subjective. but at 30 the highest reading on the tube , it almost dissappeared.
Also keep in mind the heatwave we are having, current pool temp is 93degrees I get 10 hours of sun, and the weather channel has the UV index at 10 this past week.
Using a chart I found here, my cell will produce 23.2 ounces of CL for 24 hrs. So now other research tells me that 1oz of CL will raise 7,500gal 1ppm.
so my pool 30,000gal need 4oz to make 4 ppm of CL.
Considering sun UV index water temp.....I'm burning 4 ppm a day ...I'm thinking of raising my CYA to 50.
Thoughts?????

Have you looked at this pool school article?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator. It is not surprising you have to run you swg so long since your cya level is much too low and most of the chlorine your swg is generating is being lost to the sun. You want cya between 70-80 ppm for the swg.

As long as the swg flow meter is happy, you can run you pump much slower. Many vs pumps are most efficient at ~1000 rpm (though I am not sure about yours).

As for how long to run the pump, of course it needs to run long enough such that you get enough chlorine in your pool. After that it may not need anymore run time, but as long as the water is clear enough (owner preference) then you have run it long enough. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pump_run_time

I reviewed both items in pool school post. I'm going to lower rpm's on pump to about 1200 but leave 23.5 hrs runtime. for an experiment.
If no change. next day I'll add a 6lb container of stabilizer (Pool store only source here $38). and give it a week.
Thanks for the help.

"Raise your CYA" is the most likely answer.... (Here's why based on what I just went through)

Based on my very recent experience I will show you my results. I didn't bother bringing my CYA levels up when I opened pool this season, because quite frankly I have crystal clear water always and generally don't fix what isn't broke. But I knew the dog days of summer was coming so a few weeks ago, I figured I'd get on top of this......

about 2-3 weeks ago (just before the East coast heat wave) while running SWG at 65% with pump on 7 hrs/day, my FC was 0.5 and my TC was 1.0, hence I had a slight chlorine block. So I shocked.... aahem "Slammed" it... that night.

Next morning, FC was off the top of visible scale of a basic OTO kit. So I figured I was good. Jacked the SWG up 100% anyway cause I knew once sun burned off the shock treatment I would need a higher level output to maintain.
Well....... 24 hours later, FC back down to .5. uh oh! So I checked my CYA and it was at a 15. I added 12lb stablizer. Got it good and disolved real quick. Ran pump all night SWG still on 100%.

Checked readings 48 hrs later and had 45ppm CYA, 7.0 FC, 7.0 TC (I never added any more bleach, Chlorine, shock, etc). The Chlorine levels got there solely from the SWG! I lowered SWG down to 50% and back to my typical 9:00am - 4:00pm pump run time. Been maintaining 5.0 FC with zero chlorine block ever since. (This through a 5-day span of near 100 degree weather and minimal clouds).

I think one can clearly see that bringing up my CYA is what is saving my chlorine. Science doesn't lie... And for those that will inevitable ask.... my pH was maintained at 7.5 and TA at 80 throughout this entire time mentioned. Yes I know I should have my CYA level up even higher. But I am holding FC now and continue to be "trouble free".

Measure the CYA a week after adding the 6lbs and my guess is that you will need another 6lbs to raise the CYA to 70-80 range. The large box stores, walmart, home depot, etc. should carry CYA at around 1/2 that price if you have any around you.

Make sure you add the CYA to a sock or two and suspend over a return and give it a squeeze every now and then. Do not add it straight in to the skimmer.

Yes to the sock method. I tie a knot in it a place in the skimmer, dissapates in 24hrs...
Mikemass I'm Freehold (guess I should change my name from nyart). Ping..i'll check sams club or costco and get my stabilizer up.
Thanks guys

Yup. Sock method and Squeeze. Only way to go. Skimmer method traps too much in the filter medium in my opinion. Ping, Thanks for the discount place suggestions. I will go that route when I get around to topping off the levels. Spent $36 per 6lb container for Bioguard product at the pool store when I added the 12 lbs!!!

Art. Small world. There's another guy on this board, JohnN, from Howell also who I've chatted with here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.