water chemistry

shutch

Jun 8, 2013
Missouri
Hello. Thank all of you kind people so much for all your help and patience! First of all, we are upgrading our pump to the intex 2500 gph today, providing the adapters are delivered. However, besides the crappy filtration of the small pump leaving the water slightly cloudy, I am having a problem keeping my FC level stable. I have read pool school, and everything was going good until we left for vacation (4 days). All of the numbers were where they should be. But about a week home from vacation I noticed we were adding bleach more often than before. So, when I turned the pump off yesterday in anticipation of switching to the new one, here were my numbers.
FC-2
ph-7.2
TA-130
CYA-0
I should add that the kids love making a "whirlpool", and this sometimes spills a lot of the water out. Since we are in direct sunlight from sunrise to sunset, and the fresh water helps to keep it cool, I haven't complained! Could this have caused the CYA loss? I wouldn't think so because it wasn't like it was HALF the water! Anyway, I don't know where to start now besides changing the pump....shock? bleach? tri-chlor pucks?! stabilizer? Sorry if I am repeating things that have been answered :? and thank you.

What was the cya number before? With no CYA you will use lots of chlorine. I keep my CYA low at 20 ppm. My pool gets about six hours of direct sun a day. It is a small pool so I don't mind spending money on bleach.

You have to get some CYA in the pool or use a lot of chlorine. A CYA of 40 is suggested so, regardless of what caused it, your CYA must be replenished or you will simply have to add a TON more chlorine to keep FC where it belongs.

Ok, thank you, I figured that. I just ordered more CYA reagent because we are out. Should I use shock and swim to at least put some in until the reagent arrives and I'm able to test or should I just keep chlorinating by way of bleach until I can safely test the level of cya? We also have some of the HTH tri-chlor tablets? I honestly don't think I could take the level too high by the time the test arrives, but we have no idea how we arrived at the correct level the last time, so I am basically in need of guidance I suppose?! Thank you again. BTW the CYA was 30.

shutch said:
Sorry for confusion, I was replying to 1380ken by answering that. The CYA BEFORE we went on vacation was 30, it is NOW 0.

Still odd, that would indicate 100% water replacement. Are you sure it was 30? Or, have you really replenished an amount equivalent to 100% water volume since you returned?

Ok. Sorry for taking so long to reply. Again, thank you for your advice and patience while giving it! As for the initial CYA of 30, I suppose either I read the test wrong or we have actually replenished that much water (my meter usage indicates the latter to be true :? ). Either way we are back at square one with no CYA. So...we replaced the pump today (WOW what a difference). Although we have not used the pool for a couple of days I have tried to keep the chlorine level at least 2 by way of bleach. But, here were the levels around noon yesterday when new pump was turned on (Sorry, but I have the HTH 6-way test kit....I know I know...)
FC 1-2
pH 7.2
TA 130
CH 0
CYA 0

The pump really cleared up the cloudiness. I brushed the sides and we ran the pump all day and half the night. (Of course I did add bleach throughout the day yesterday because I could not deny my 4 year old another day without swimming). Here is where I am confused. I followed the guide for seasonal pools that is on this site (pool shock). I would swear that the CYA reading was 30 two weeks after opening the pool. However, maybe I didn't do it right..? Additionally, we have added the "pucks" randomly here and there...wouldn't they have aided in CYA levels? Oh well, it is now at 0 and I am totally confused, tired of buying bleach by the case and would be very appreciative if someone could tell me what to do or not to do. :mrgreen: We only have approx 1/8 of a 1.5 lb bottle of sanitizer, so I ordered more which should be here tomorrow. Currently, I have four bags of HTH shock and swim, three 64oz bottles of bleach, and 7 HTH 1 inch chlorinating tablets.
One last thing, we added three HTH 1 inch chlorinating tablets yesterday to the pump. Six hours later they were dissolved, so we added 4 more to the pump filter last night because the chlorine barely tested. Here are the numbers this morning
FC 3
ph 7.2
TA 130
CH 310
CYA of course, didn't check

I'm sorry but what should I do? SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to keep throwing questions your way, but what is the "sanitizer" you ordered? I will tell you from experience, that you will not need much bleach when you get things right. I bought 6 "gallons" (121 oz) of 8.25% about 4 weeks ago, and just opened my last bottle this morning. That is treating 43-4500 gallons with a normal steady use of the pool. Last week, I had two days of 5 plus kids in the pool so I blasted through a little extra bleach. :mrgreen:

Thank you all so much...
Brushpup, I ordered swimming pool conditioner/stabilizer-100% cyanuric acid.
JohnN, thank you for explaining the rise in CH. Stabilizer on way....
1380ken, I did not add a specific amount of CYA, I followed the instructions here under guide for seasonal/temporary pools. However, I didn't realize that the shock and swim was not the pool shock that the guide was referring to :hammer: I assumed that I had brought the CYA up by this method, when in fact the level was probably up due to the chlorinating tablets that were put in the pump to help me out. Additionally, I ASSumed that the CH was still 0 since that is what the first two readings were (unless I was doing the test wrong), but when I tested it was in fact 310.
duraleigh, I am going to attempt and upload a pic....

[attachment=0:yzim66a7]20130723_184117.jpg[/attachment:yzim66a7]
Well it is telling me the image is too big. :rant: so i took another, pic doesn't look as clear as water actually is.The water is clear but slightly cloudy. You can definitly see the bottom with no problem.

Ahh..Ok then stabilizer and not sanitizer. You will likely have enough for next year too then. Your water doesn't look too bad to me, but I would keep the chlorine up to make sure you don't get a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.