What next? My pool is still green....

Jul 7, 2013
Split from post547545.html#p547545 Butterfly

Curious what happened after this point. Our pool has looked like this all summer and still never improved past this point. We have used the bbb method since last year and even last year once it turned blue it was never clear. We haven't been able to swim all summer and I am ready to shut it down and get rid of it.
Tested this morning after shocking last night with bleach as we have been slamming for a week.
FC 7 down again from 15, adding more bleach this a.m.
PH 8 (adding muriatic acid, we replaced half the pool water last week because the stabilizer was reading 40 and the pool school recommended replacing 43% of water)
TA 240
CH 250
CYA 30
Using Taylor full test kit with DPD powder test which we have been using religiously.
29,000 gallon above ground pool 33' round 54" high. DE in filter which was replaced last year.
We having been shocking with bleach only, no algecide or other extra chems except stabilizer at opening and muriatic acid for PH adjustment per pool calculator.
I have read and re read the pool school and everything on this site to find an answer.
Any suggestions?
I would love one good day in the pool!
Thanks, Pam

Welcome to the forum. :lol: It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right.

That said, 95% of the posts similar to yours are the result of inadequate chlorine (SLAM - Shock level and Maintain). People bring FC to shock level but don't follow the SLAM procedure to the letter because they either don't want to "waste" the high FC or they want to let it come down too soon to "see the results"

SLAM involves a combination of high FC and filtration and brushing and vacuuming techniques to bring the pool to crystal clear.

If those procedures and chlorine dosages are followed precisely, pools clear up.

There might be an issue with some maintenance or mechanical condition of your filter but I am not well versed with DE filters so cannot suggest a procedure to check it out.

I have a DE filter.

Are you running you pump 24/7? Are you checking your chlorine levels and redosing every hour? How often are you brushing?

Are you watching your filter pressure? How often are you backwashing? When I fight an algae bloom, I have to backwash every few hours. Once my pool is crystal clear, I backwash about every week. My DE filter will help me clear an algae bloom in 3 days if I follow the SLAM process.

What is the size of your filter? How much DE are you adding after you backwash? How are you measuring your DE? What is your filter pressure after backwashing?

These posts will give you the basics in caring for your DE filter.
pool-school/Routine_Maintenance
pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters
use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

Yes the filter runs 24/7. We have never had an issue with the filter and we changed out the DE. Chlorine has held steady at shock level without dropping. We brush and vacuum to waste daily and the high chlorine is really drying my hubs skin. We can't brush or vacuum without getting into the pool. It looks exactly the same as last week but chlorine is staying at shock level. I didn't add any today because we need it to drop to 7 or so instead of getting in while it is still at 15. 8 weeks of this and we have spent as much as we used to at the pool store. I am ready to go back to them and see what happens. This just isn't working for us.
I get the brushing constantly but there is nothing left to brush. It is an above ground pool with a dock style entry deck so we need to be in the water for brushing and vacuuming.

If it were me and I had to chose between high FC level or brushing/vacuuming, I would keep the FC high and skip the brushing/vacuuming.

In your first post you say that the FC dropped down to 7 "again", but in your most recent you say that FC hasn't dropped below shock level. How often are you testing and add chlorine? If you consistently lose 8ppm of FC overnight, I would add enough chlorine at bed time to get your FC to 23ppm instead of 15ppm.

It has stayed at 15 throughout the weekend. Would using floc help? Hubs and kids say shut it down and forget it for the season. We usually close it after Labor Day so we have a bit over a month to go.

You must have a filter issue if the water is not clearing with a DE filter while maintaining shock FC level. All the potions at the pool store are not going help if it is an equipment problem.

Wait, you are backwashing and adding DE 5-6 times a day? Even though the pressure is not rising? Why?

That may be the root cause of your problem. A DE filter with no DE on the grids isn't doing much filtering. You need to add DE every time you backwash. Try adding some DE to your filter and see if it clears up.

You should only backwash when your filter pressure rises about 25% (i.e. if the clean pressure is 10psi, backwash when it gets to 12.5 psi) or if the flow out of the returns becomes weak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, there is your problem. You MUST add DE after every backwash or the grids get clogged and messed up.
You do have a DE filter and not a sand filter right?
Is it a normal DE filter or a bump DE filter?

Have you read this:

At this point it would be a good idea to fully dissasemble the DE filter and grids and spray them off really well and inspect for any tears. If they are stiff you may also should soak in soap and then in acid.

There is no telling what is going on in there since you have not been adding DE. What article told you to do this?

Well, change your signature :whip:

You should still only backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. The DE should certainly be helping.

What does the water look like now?

Hi Pam,

You should not be backwashing until the pressure has risen 20 to 25% of the clean pressure. Backwashing too frequently is not appropriate as the filters do their best when they are a little dirty. Please read the following to make sure that you have backwashed correctly and have added the appropriate amount of DE after you backwash.

If you forgot to add DE to the DE filter, you could have dirtied up the grids. If this is the case, you should clean the DE filter grids.

Can you please provide a full set of updated test results? Your high PH is probably the skin irritation culprit. High TA is also causing your PH levels to swing wildly.

According to the FC/CYA chart your CYA of 30 allows you to swim up to a FC level of 12. If you are fighting algae, you to test FC hourly and need to keep your FC at 12 and do not let if go below 12.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Can you post a photo of the pool?

Karen

[imghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7396/9352306105_d8b9ff009f_z.jpg[/img]

should be You missed a ]
9352306105_d8b9ff009f_z.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.