Polished Pebbletec Flaking Off of Floor

Jun 14, 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
Hi Guys,

Tonight my kids jumped in and started screaming that the pool was falling apart. They have been swimming almost every day for the last week and just noticed this problem. It seems to have occurred overnight. There are about a dozen spots were the Pebbletec has started to delaminate. It looks like little 4" craters in some spots and other spots look like I shot it with bird shot. No grit appears to be on the floor anywhere, but I did not dive to the deep end.

Any ideas?

Test results:
FC - 7
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 70
CH - 350
CYA - 70
Borates - not yet

Thanks for any thoughts before I call the pool renovators!

Jason

Certainly would contact the installers and PebbleTec directly so they are aware of the issue (likely want to know if one of their approved installers messed up the install).

Oh, you made it sound like you knew the company that installed it fairly recently (my bad ;) ).

Are you SURE it is a PebbleTec product? It still may have some warranty and would contact them to take a look ... they will at least be able to offer you ideas about the path forward.

If it is 15+ years old, then it could be at the end of it's lifetime. Delimitation is one of the known ways that old pebble/plaster surfaces fail. Normally PebbleTec will last 20 to 30 years. Since you don't know how old it is, it is at least possible that this is a normal old age thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.