New pool, just signed contract

Jul 12, 2013
Clarksburg, MD
OK folks.....I've been here reading like a mad man for several weeks.....and we've just (like 2 hours ago) signed our contract for a 650sqft, 21k gallon, gunite pool. Questions are already mounting as I now want to bounce some info off of you good folks and get your thoughts.

Everything at the moment revolves around the equipment especially the pump. Builder uses Jandy, no issue with this, however he is quoting a single speed 1.5 hp pump to run the pool and the 2 18in cascades. He stated a bunch of reasons but the common theme is that without a spa, or numerous water features (water fall, water slide, fountains) that it didn't make sense and take too long to payback. His figure was we would turnover the pool in about 4 hours and if we set the timers for 3 hours morning and evening there would be negligible benefit to Variable speed.

So does this jive with everyone here? I see so many folks moving to variable speed that I didn't expect him to tell me he was using a single speed....asked about 2-speed and he said he would go variable before 2-speed but still insisted it was overkill. Thoughts?

Also he is using a DE 60 sqft filter, Aquapure SWG, Propane Heater (not sure on model).

I will update signature but want to make sure on the equipment list before we go any further and the pump thing was really a nagging question I had.

Anyway looking forward to joining the pool ownership world even though I likely won't be swimming in it this year....maybe thanks to the heater, but its going to be tight.

If you need more info to make an informed decision let me know and I will see what I can dig up, BTW I'm in Montgomery County, MD if location has anything to do with pump size.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would seriously consider a 2-speed pump as you can save a good bit running on low speed most of the time ... and it should not cost much more. Not sure why he would prefer the VS over a 2-speed ... makes him more money? It is your pool, you can get what you want.

That is a good sized filter as well.

Congrats!!!

I don't think it was about the money, I think his point was if you are going to upgrade from a single speed you might as well go VS instead of 2 speed. He's pushing the single speed and stating I don't need the hype of VS since nothing in my pool warrants it.

Welcome to tfp, Omnipotent :wave:

Do you know what your electric rates are? If they are high (above $0.20/kwh) then a variable speed (vs) pump is probably a good investment, anything below that and the payback becomes more grey for vs pumps. If your electricity cost is lower than I would go with a 2-speed pump, since most of the time you could be running a low (though your cascades may need high) and saving money. Personally, I would not even consider a single speed.

The 60 sq. ft. DE is well sized right at the TFP minimum for your pool.

You mentioned propane...do you not have natural gas service? If you do, NG should be much cheaper to operate.

It is maybe $200 more for a 2-speed and at least $400 more for the VS ... that is your money he is trying to spend. If your electricity is cheap it will likely take twice as long to recoup the cost of the VS over the 2-speed. Now if you have rebates available for VS pumps, that could make the VS more attractive. Either one will CERTAINLY save you money on electrity if you do not need to run on high speed.

Of course then there are the newer smaller VS pumps from Hayward that are very similar to the cost of a 2-speed ... but sounds like that is not even an option.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Omnipotent :wave:

Do you know what your electric rates are? If they are high (above $0.20/kwh) then a variable speed (vs) pump is probably a good investment, anything below that and the payback becomes more grey for vs pumps. If your electricity cost is lower than I would go with a 2-speed pump, since most of the time you could be running a low (though your cascades may need high) and saving money. Personally, I would not even consider a single speed.

The 60 sq. ft. DE is well sized right at the TFP minimum for your pool.

You mentioned propane...do you not have natural gas service? If you do, NG should be much cheaper to operate.

No natural gas and I already have a buried 150 gallon propane tank for my stove/oven/grill so tapping into that made the most sense.

BTW, pool turnover will have something to do with this, correct? My pool will be in direct sunlight ALL DAY...sun up to sun down, so I have to figure 12 hours plus. In using a SWG, and with the sun trying to eat away all the chlorine, would I have to turn the pool over more than once a day? If so, then this would tend to lead me to believe the VS would truly save money, maybe substantial amounts of money in the long term...assuming it doesn't flake out in 3-4 years. So am I thinking right on this? Lots of info I'm trying to process so I could be completely off on this train of thought. Again I'm looking at 21K gallons, which should turnover in 4.3 hours with a 1.5hp pump at 80gpm, right? I'm looking at .14 kwh....

Thanks again in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.