First test results

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How does the water look?
How new is the water?
Did you do the FAS-DPD chlorine test? What was the CC?
Looks like your CYA is near zero ... have you adding any by using trichlor pucks or dichlor powder or stabilizer?

The water is clear,and I have a chlorinator on it with trichlor tabs the pool is about 2 weeks old.I discovered this site and want to go to the BBB method. This is my first [pool and I have read some of pool school, you guys seem really helpful to us rookies. Thanks for your reply

You are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun with the low CYA levels. Ideally, you would add stabilizer to get up to 30+ppm or so and then be using bleach to maintain the FC.

Once you understand what the tablets are adding, you could use them to add some more CYA ... or just save them for use while on vacation. How many tabs do you have?

Stabilizer = Conditioner = CYA = cyanuric acid ... all are the same.

You can get it at Walmart or many hardware stores.

Just so you know, using poolcalculator.com, each puck is only adding [s:1migniak]1.6[/s:1migniak]1.3ppm of CYA to your pool. So it will take a long time to get up to the needed 30ppm. But once there, you could use the tablets to slowly raise it a little higher ... depends on how much sun you get.

I see said the blind man.I have been using poollife products sold to me by the store where I purchased my pool, such as turbo shock and the 3" tabs of trichlor these are the last tabs I have.My wife is a little nervous about me trying BBB but it sounds like common sense to me.

Generally it ends up being cheaper using liquid chlorine because there are not the other side effects that you end up having to deal with when solid chlorine is used. And it is easier to understand what you are doing to the water because there are not so many interactions.

BTW, note I fixed a typo above, each puck adds 1.3ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just added 8 lbs of GLB stabilizer 99% cyanuric acid 1% other ingredients I put in about 2 lbs of turbo shock last night I will test this evening and start the bleach after that. One question, after I put in the bleach how long before it is ok to swim and what if I add borax

:scratch: I know I responded to this ... but it was apparently lost in the interweb (or I forgot to click the Submit ;) )

How did you add the CYA? As John said you have to wait a week before you re-test the CYA, but assume it is at your target level to determine the required FC level.

Yup and 30-60 minutes of pump time after the chemical addition is plenty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.