Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I ordered the slotted returns, not he Poolskim (yet). Does the Poolskim work under low speed on a 2 speed pump? I am replacing my pump with a 2 speed and plan on running it on low about 8 hours, just didn't want to order a Poolskim if pressure was too low to function. Glad to hear those slotted returns work so well!

Re: Poolskim review.

I installed those slotted returns today. May not need the Poolskim, since they seem to keep all the water moving around the perimeter (and into the skimmer). I have not installed my 2 speed pump yet, so not sure how effective they'll be on low (which I plan to use 95% of the time).

One thing I did notice, the slotted returns are much more restrictive. I have 5, and my filter pressure when from 24 to 29. I assume it will be well below 20 once I install the new motor. I'm guessing with a Poolskim attached to one, a lot of pressure would be coming out of that jet and would have no problems functioning. Confirmation?

Looks like I need the Poolskim. Running on low just doesn't cut it with the main skimmer. I watch small bugs just float by as close as 3" from it. I seem to get plenty of flow out of the jets, so Poolskim should work well. I am getting no flow from the 1 jet my old pressure cleaner was hooked up to, but it is tied into a 2" line with .75" T, so my guess is low is too low pressure to get water moving through it (29 psi on high, 8 psi on low). I really find it hard to believe that low moves 50% of the water as high... "feels" like about 25%. Ordering Poolskim now!

Here is a link to show my poolskim in action. I have a 1hp 2 speed pump. This is with the pump on low speed. You can't really see it in the video but the crepe myrtle is full of tiny purple blossoms. All summer its like a purple snowfall in my pool. Most of that beast is on my neighbor's side of the fence.

Installed my Poolskim, so far looks like it works. Only tested it on low speed so far. Very low flow, but still pulls stuff in. Surface is about 50% cleaner. Need to try to close a couple returns tomorrow to see if it pulls more. Don't want to have to run the pump on high. I guess that's what VS pumps are for... just a little more than low...

edit: Closing 1 return helped a lot; now stuff actually makes it into the bag. Speaking of the bag, kind of ugly and lets fine stuff through. I slid it off its clip and put a 5 gallon Home Depot paint strainer on it. Looks and works better and easier to clean (turn inside out). I use a 1 gallon HD strainer for my main skimmer sock (not that it pulls much in on low pump speed). Almost nothing floating on my pool! (except me)

Thought I'd post a shot of my Poolskim. Really liking it! Seems to catch a lot more than my main skimmer.

Poolskim.jpg

tcat said:
Installed my Poolskim, so far looks like it works. Only tested it on low speed so far. Very low flow, but still pulls stuff in. Surface is about 50% cleaner. Need to try to close a couple returns tomorrow to see if it pulls more. Don't want to have to run the pump on high. I guess that's what VS pumps are for... just a little more than low...

edit: Closing 1 return helped a lot; now stuff actually makes it into the bag. Speaking of the bag, kind of ugly and lets fine stuff through. I slid it off its clip and put a 5 gallon Home Depot paint strainer on it. Looks and works better and easier to clean (turn inside out). I use a 1 gallon HD strainer for my main skimmer sock (not that it pulls much in on low pump speed). Almost nothing floating on my pool! (except me)

I just bought a PoolSkim as a possible replacement to a PoolDevil, which works ok but has its cons. I also have a two speed pump, one return, so it's good to hear it will work on low. Your idea of the paint strainer is interesting. You wouldn't by chance have a link to the Home Depot part for that? Could one use different sized paint strainers, say a smaller one?

We have pine trees and hence needles and they did in the Pool Devil sock in a day. Had to switch to a custom mesh one. Much better as the needles don't tear it apart. The material looks like the picture you have for the paint striner. Did you have to cut the strainers?

Philip

I don't have the wrapper, but I think it's this one. I have the 5 gallon on the Pool Skim, and the 1 gallon on my main skimmer basket. I'm sure the 1 gallon would work on the PS. I didn't modify the elastic band, just slide through the spring clamp and clamp it. Could probably sew it to reduce opening, but no need. The are cheap and durable, washed mine at least 10 times with no damage.

Off to drain some water, been raining 2 days and about to go over the top... very welcome here in Austin!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.