Will my pump be big enough?

msr

Jul 18, 2013
Will my 3/4 HP filter pump have enough power to "push" water up to roof - trying to divert water as it comes out of filter, then thru 100' of 1/2" black tubing (to get heated) before returning to pool. Would there be enough HP to do this - will tubing diameter make any difference to flow or damage filter or pump if it is taken from the output line?

You'll need to have a three way valve to control the flow through the pipe and allow some of the water to bypass the roof.

Your pump shouldn't have a problem if you are pumping to the top of a house.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Trying to push the water through 100' of 1/2" poly is going to add a LOT of resistance to the flow. You would be better off splitting the 100' into multiple parallel paths ... like 5x 20' sections as that will allow better flow. Solor heating is more efficient at higher flow rates; you are better off heating a lot of water a few degrees, than a little water a lot.

FYI, it is generally more cost effective at this point to just buy the true solar panels (check Ebay) than to try to DIY something together. Heating is about sqft ... you are going to have about 4 sqft which is not going to do much. You could get a 2'x20' panel (40 sqft) for < $100 I think.

Thanks everybody. The pump is Hayward MaxFlo Self Priming - seems to be 1 HP, think model# is SKCET51ABM. The roof top is about 7ft directly above pump (hole is still there from gas heater venting). Also, it is finally nice to know which way is better, ie, for solar, heat a lot of water a little bit than a little bit of water hotter. I will look into the solar panels as suggested. Any idea of performance on the 2'x20' panels?

The more panel, the more heat. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I am in AZ and have 500 sqft, but it is not used in the summer, used more to try to extend the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.