TA....130
    CYA....32

Added 12oz of muriatic acid last night

Here are my numbers from this morning

FC...2.5
    TC...2.5
    pH....7.7
    TA....120

I did not measure CYA b/c I know I need to add more today at some point to start SWG, hopefully by tomorrow.

The muriatic acid does not seem to have dropped my pH at all, but did help the TA some.

So, it seems I still need to add more muriatic acid, in addition to bleach today and more CYA and I need to add pool salt too.

Our SWG was finally connected this morning, so I would like to get things within range and let my SWG take over a little bit for me.

So which do I add first, how long do I wait between adding different chemicals? We are also supposed to get some t-storms later tonight, although I think they will be quick moving since it is a cold front coming through.

Thx.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    You can add the bleach and the CYA at the same time, the CYA can be added to your skimmer if you don't plan to backwash or clean it....

You are going to lower your PH and then aerate? I assume that's the route?

Did you try the pool caculator to get your amounts?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3
    I used the pool calcuator yesterday and it said to add 17oz of acid. I added to 12oz since this was my first time.

Calculating again, it says to add 17oz of acid again and 62oz of bleach.

I will go add the liquid stabilizer now, wait a 1/2 hour and add the bleach.

Then I will add the acid later this afternoon.

I will wait until tomorrow morning to add the salt.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

4. Back To Top    #4
    Be careful when you turn on your SWG because you can see a spike in the PH if you haven't aerated by then.

If you are using liquid stabilizer, consider 2/3 the dosing and then retest tomorrow. You don't want to overshoot....
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5
    I do not technically have the SWG "on" yet since I have no salt added.

Should I target my pH to 7.3 rather than 7.5?

6. Back To Top    #6
    SWG's are unknown to me, other than what I've read on here.

read this sticky:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3663

all about them, perhaps that will give you better insight than me....

7. Back To Top    #7
    Yes, you should bring the PH down to between 7.2 and 7.4. Once the SWG is running the PH will tend to drift up steadily, so you might as well lower it now. Longer term you might want to lower your TA, or just let the regular acid additions to control the PH lower TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School