How to Keep Above Ground Pools Cold??

Jul 15, 2013
Hi everyone!

I have a 10' x 30" round Intex above ground pool. And it is HOT outside. And so is my pool! I did some research and it looks like this is the only way to keep the pool water cold: http://www.mistcooling.com/mist-cooling ... round.html

Has anyone had any experiences with something like this? Or are there any other ideas on how to keep my pool water cold? I have a cover; it does absolutely nothing. Thanks everyone!

Yes, this what you want. But DON'T buy it. Build it yourself, it will cost less than $10.

I'll find some links and add to this post.

This will get you started, no need to use a bolt, just buy a male and female threaded adapter and for the top get an end cap. Everything you need will be in the PVC aisle at any home improvement store.
dane-s-how-to-for-a-quick-easy-pool-cooler-t36086.html

Here is my thread which shows different parts I've made.
fountain-with-multiple-configurations-pics-and-video-t36183.html

No problem -- buy plenty of pvc pipe and extra parts, it's cheap and I definitely enjoyed making extra pieces. Just made a new "spray bar," last night with smaller holes so I can use it with my pump on low.

Hey thanks Speedo for posting my project. I hope it continues to help members stay cool. Just when I thought I wouldn't be using that cooler this year the current heat spike proves me wrong. My pool water hit 88 today so I might run it Friday night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
for my intex ultra frame i got one of these sprinklers, attached it to the hose, and wrapped the hose around one of the beams. instant fountain for $3.

034411328804lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46876-306-876SC ... ct_price|0

linen said:
How are you plumbing that to your pool pump to cool the water?

i don't have it plumbed to to the pool because i don't run the filter when i'm in the pool. i simply ran a garden hose to the pool and wrapped it around one of the vertical beams. the sprinkler screws into the garden hose.

ugafan said:
i don't have it plumbed to to the pool because i don't run the filter when i'm in the pool. i simply ran a garden hose to the pool and wrapped it around one of the vertical beams. the sprinkler screws into the garden hose.
I would agree it could make a neat fountain, but the cooling the op is asking for is not there. To significantly cool a pool with a fountain, the pools water needs to be run through it.

linen said:
jguard68 said:
Won't that restrict the return flow and damage the pump?
As long as there is some flow there is no problem with restriction. The restriction lowers the flow rate and that actually makes the pump work less.

Just to add, the pressure at my filter doesn't change much when the cooler is running. All of those tiny holes add up to one big hole. :hammer: ...more or less.

I did use my cooler Friday night from 8 PM to 8 AM this morning. Starting water temp was 88 with air temp of 92. Overnight air temp dropped to around 75 with around 75% humidity. My pool water temp dropped to 80. Not bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.