Algae - Test Kit - SLAM?

Hello all,

I've been dealing with Algae quite a bit this season and went on vacation last week and returned to the worst so far. I've been going through pool school and intend to SLAM the pool. However I don't have a good test kit. From what I've read, the TFT-100 is preferred, but I don't know if I can/should get it considering I will have to wait for shipping.

I'd like to start the SLAM tomorrow and into the weekend as I'm losing summer swim time for the kids. Is there anything I can do while the TFT-100 ships? Or, should I just bite the bullet and get the Taylor K-2006 (for more money too at least at Leslies's)?

I'll be updating my signature tonight with the specs of my pool. Its in ground, plaster rectangle 18' x 36' with an 8' deep end. (I think around 20,000 gallons if I used the calculator right)

Welcome to tfp, slush1422 :wave:

It is unlikely a Leslie's will have the right kit locally. You want the one with the fas-dpd FC test (not to be confused with the dpd test). tftestkits.net had pretty fast shipping.

I am getting about 26000 gallons for your pool.

Thanks Linen,

I thought I read the Leslie's FAS-DPD kit was just a rebadged Taylor K-2006. I'm sure I could find a Talyor K-2006 at another pool store if I hunt a bit, but would like to get the TFT-100 with the speed stir thing.

My main question is, if I go for the TFT-100, what can I do to get a head start on the SLAM tomorrow through this weekend, while I wait for it to arrive?

If your local store really has the Leslie's FAS-DPD kit then your in luck (it is the same as the K-2006 afaik). Make sure it is before you buy it...many people have thought that is was only to find out it wasn't.

Until you know your cya level it is hard to do the SLAM process.

You were right. I couldn't find either the K-2006 or Leslie's rebadged brand in stock anywhere. I'll am ordering the TF-100 today, and hoping it will be here Monday. I went to the pool store to at least get a water analysis and here is what I got:

FC - 3.0
CYA - 60
TA - 110
PH - 7.6

(Don't have CC, or CH)

When I returned to the pool yesterday after vacation and saw the greenness, I dumped in three pounds of Leslie's Power Powder Plus (http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14183.html), then came in and found this site (better late than never I guess).

I'm going out to backwash the filter now, and will come back in for more pool school. Can I still attempt to get a head start on this thing while I wait for my tester to arrive?

Thanks!

slush1422 said:
I'm going out to backwash the filter now, and will come back in for more pool school. Can I still attempt to get a head start on this thing while I wait for my tester to arrive?

Thanks!
That depends....do you have ANY means of testing FC? Because if you don't you're working blind. It would be like trying to get a head start on a painting while you wait for the light bulb so you can see.

You could go out and buy some bleach (or liquid chlorine)........LOTS OF IT! You are going to need it.

I liked your analogy Richard!

I had some liquid chlorine on hand and after backwashing have added 4 gallons based on the pool calculator. I'm willing to invest (waste) a little bit of $$ in order to avoid having to wait until I get the TF-100 kit to lower the risk of not having it ready for next weekend. My wife is having some friends over for her birthday. I'm hoping I can clear up the pool enough that they can swim in it instead of fish in it.

I've got like three pool stores around me so I can go to each one to have them test the water for me.

Or is there a kit that I might have better luck in finding that can test at least FC?

The good news is the pool is a beautiful blue (although very cloudy) this morning. I don't see any more green.

My CYA yesterday afternoon (from Leslie's Water Analysis) was 60. I had to add a good amount of water to the pool yesterday, so CYA may have dropped. I added enough liquid chlorine (4 gallons) to bring FC to 24 based on the chart

I do have one of those basic test kits but only measures TC. All I can tell from it this morning is that chlorine is greater than 5.0 as its much darker than the highest reading. As soon as the pool store opens, I'll go grab another water analysis and see if I can find a kit to at least measure higher levels of chlorine and pick some up.

How will the OTO test kit help, as it only goes up to 5.0?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OTO is accurate. You just don't have a scale for that range. If you keep the TC in that bright yellow range or higher you know you have met the minimum requirements for a CYA of 60. It's not the preferred method but it is better than guessing and you know when you in the yellow range in the block that you are to low.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Also, I noticed that you thought your pool is 20,000 gallons. I can tell you that my FIL's pool is 16x32 and 8' deep end and his is almost 20K gallons. So the 18x36x8 is likely closer to 25K or 26K gallons. This info will be useful when using the pool-calculator.

Definitely seen an improvement.

Here are some pics:

u9tzG77.jpg

dyFeVts.jpg

P2tYc0m.jpg

Can totally see all the way to the bottom. Since I can only measure up to 5.0 of FC, I'm just ensuring it is much more pink than the 5.0 reading. I am going to vacuum to waste and backwash again to get all the "stuff" off the bottom.

Is it possible that some of the marks on the side are still algae or just stains? I've brushed with a stainless steel brush and doesn't seem to brush it off. My test kit is due here Tuesday so thats when I'll be able to get accurate readings and determine if I can pass the three tests. I tried going to another pool store and they did a strip test and told me I have "about 50 FC" even though their kit only went to 10. She said she was just guessing because the color was so much darker than the 10 and I should add 4 lbs of conditioner. I thanked her, but didn't buy anything other than 4 gal of 12.5% at 3.99/gal

Since I'm still "painting a wall under the light of a night light" any other suggestions for me to do until Tuesday?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.