installing DE filter tomorrow!

Jul 18, 2013
Getting tired of seeing 'dust' collecting on my pool floor and trying several ways to get rid of that I decided to get me a 'real' filter instead of my roughly 10 year old Sta Rite 200 lbs sand filter.
My pool looks perfectly clear other than that 'dust' that my sand filter refuses to keep indoors. I even went as far as adding a lil bit of DE to the sand filter as I read a few times but that didn't work for me either. As said, my pool water looks nice and clear, but I have scuba gear (mostly used by the grand kids though, they really think that's even better than jumping in the pool like 274 times an hour...) and this scuba gear will give you a different look on your water...well, it did me. There is much more floating around in 'clear' water than you might think! That 'dust' blowing back in my pool may also be a combination of having a very strong waterflow from that Matrix pump and, an about to give in, multiport gasket. Anywho, I'm about to retire the ole sand filter and bring in the DE promise... :-D
Based on A LOT of reading, watching Youtube and the like the decision fell on a (oversized) Hayward 60 sq ft one. Perhaps do not need such a big filter but the thought is that it likely won't hurt and also cuz I didn't want to wait anymore and Amazon ships this one out today and the 48 sq ft was sorta, kinda out of stock but on the way. 54 yr old kid here that decided and then didn't want to wait... :lol:
(some of you may recognize that ...urge, lol)
Soooo, tomorrow removing sand filter (with new sand that was supposedly cure my dust problem) and a little re-plumbing for the new DE filter with selector switch. ( I decided on a selector switch due to the rinse-possibility and not the backwash valve that most seem to use?)
Going to vacuum with an old hose i found to waste to remove most of that 'dust' and then shut the system off, so hopefully I will be able to start 'fresh' with the DE filter.
Note also that if I keep my Platinum cleaner going it'll stir up that dust too but that would mean running that puppy 24/7 :-D , plus when I put on the goggles I'd see that stuff anyways.

:party: This forum has been a great help in assisting towards my decision to go to DE!!! Thank you for that. :-D

I had to do a little more than "a bit" re-plumbing....and boy, it was hot today here in IL!
But that all worked out great and not a drop leaking....(drum roll and applause in background) :)
Opened all valves and fired up the pump. Already prepped the DE in 2 buckets into a slurry and tossed them in the skimmer, while anxiously looking to my only return in the pool....No DE leaking in....awesome!
I put in a little more than Hayward recommends in the manual (7.5 lbs for the 60 sq ft) and followed the manufacturer's recommendations which stated 12 quarts for this model. I bought a 2 quart pitcher at a dollar store and weighed the dry material. 2 quarts in that pitcher weigh exactly 1.5 lbs so i added 9 lbs to the filter as startup.
Someone I have been following closely on Youtube (MrDgvb1) who is a long time pool maintenance guy who has really good, unbiased video's about you name it on pools. (Not a salesman..:)
He recommends 10 Alladin scoops for a 60 sq ft DE filter and I recon that not all his scoops are truly full so i came real close to 2 recommendations. His and manufacturer.
So now it's the wait for the DE 'magic'....so far so good..:)
I can truly recommend the vids from MrDgvb1 to anyone and ask him any question he'll answer you very quick too! Super nice guy and, I believe, very knowledgeable.

Welcome to TFP John, interesting and funny intro. Let us know how the DE is doing. I am building in the spring and leaning toward DE. I'm familiar with the benefits and drawbacks, but just haven't decided yet.

Welcome to TFP !!

One thing I would like to add is if going with DE filter consider using skimmer socks (panty hose) over the skimmer basket. I use them 100% of the time. They will catch a ton of junk before it hits the filter, which I believe is a good thing. Just make sure you check them a couple of times a day and clean them out and reinstall. It will save on backwashing.

Just my 0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.