Chris S

May 29, 2007
Central VA
Hey everyone,

What a great site. With the condition of my pool, I'm gonna be here a lot. Seeing as this is a pool forum, I know most of us are concerned with the exterior of our homes. I am a pressure washing contractor, so if anyone has any ?? about power washing or restoring decks, just ask.

Hi, Chris,

Welcome to the site. Central Va sounds like you might be around Charlottesville,.....beautiful part of the United States. I have a question possibly related to both pools and power washing.

I know that liquid chlorine is available in bulk in larger cities for power washers. I think it's 12%. It seemed that it was quite a bit cheaper than buying it at the pool store but the power washing supplier here in Raleigh closed before I could pursue it further. Do you have a source and have you compared it to pool store pricing?

duraleigh said:
Hi, Chris,

Welcome to the site. Central Va sounds like you might be around Charlottesville,.....beautiful part of the United States. I have a question possibly related to both pools and power washing.

I know that liquid chlorine is available in bulk in larger cities for power washers. I think it's 12%. It seemed that it was quite a bit cheaper than buying it at the pool store but the power washing supplier here in Raleigh closed before I could pursue it further. Do you have a source and have you compared it to pool store pricing?

I pay $1.22 a gallon for a 55 gallon drum of 12.5%. Try here and see if one is close to you. I think they may be a little pricey though.

When I got in the business, I tried every pool store around, and they acted like I was crazy looking for liquid chlorine. They inisisted that the granual was safer and more effective. It wasn't until I looked in the phone book under "Chemical Distributors" that I found my local source.

sevver said:
I pressure washed my deck, but it did not take the dark stain out. I want to stain it a lighter color, is there a way to get the rest of the stain out of the deck? I don't really want to have to stain it dark again.

It all depends on the stain that you applied. Do you know the product? If its' acrylic, it may not be worth the fight to strip it. They can be done, but it can get expensive. If it's an oil, it can probably be 99.9% stripped. Stripping acrylic and oil call for products that can be very hot, as in chemical hot. I have a scar from 3 years ago when I had an o-ring go bad on my hose and some spilled on me. I would definitely leave the strip job to a pro. They should take the care to protect your plants and any painted surfaces that could be damaged.

Keep in mind that 12.5% belach has a fairly short shelf life, something on the order of three months. The strength of bleach goes down over time. The stronger the concentration the faster it goes down.

JasonLion said:
Keep in mind that 12.5% belach has a fairly short shelf life, something on the order of three months. The strength of bleach goes down over time. The stronger the concentration the faster it goes down.

Your right. Luckily, I get mine within a week of it being packaged, and it is very hot. Depending on the pool size, a 15 gallon container would be a good idea. I get mine in a black drum and it stay out of the sun.