New here, not new to forums

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have trolled this board a few times, so I figured it was time to sign up.

My wife and I just bought our first house yesterday July 17th and we weren't going to buy one without a pool!
I think my pool size is correct, buttttt, I haven't accurately measured it yet.

(flame suit on) The pool stores by us were closed for the day but we really wanted to get in our first day so I bought the cheap-o kit from *insert mega store name here*. I tested everything but CYA that came in the kit. Chlorine/Borate, pH, hardness, and I forget the last one off the top of my head. Chlorine was way high, saw that our chlorinatorwas turned up to max. So I turned that down.

I know I have some work to do to get my levels better, but I couldnt help but get in. And it tasted like salt. Gross.
I have to redo the pool timers also. But heres to my own pee-free pool!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Of course I have highly suggest you order one of the Recommended Test Kits before any problems develop.

And given the high FC due to the use of pucks, you should certainly check the CYA ... I would not be surprised if some water replacement is in your new future.

Hey!... the way I see if, you bought the test kit you could that day and you saved hearing the baloney and spending money on stuff you don't need at the pool store. You are right to test your own pool.

FYI, the 6-way kit is a perfectly fine kit. It's accurate, cost effective and comes with a CYA tester. It's drawbacks include the fact that you cannot accurately measure TC (total chlorine) above 5FC. True, it shows the yellow-orange-pumpkin-brown colors of higher TC values but it doesn't include an accurate scale for what those colors mean. It also measure chlorine as TC and cannot accurately display separate FC and CC values.

The TF kits include the FAS-DPD (not the same as a DPD). This tests FC from 0-50 PPM in 0.2 or 0.5 ppm steps and does so very accurately and very clearly. It can also show you the CC (chloramine) or level of trapped partially oxidized waste.

Since you have the CYA test, USE IT!! If it is from the hth kit, it is pretty accurate. Full sun to your back, tube at waist level, go until dot is completely obscured. Anyway, you are on your way to a trouble free pool. Oh, you really should order the TF-100 or K-2006, but you could get by with just adding the FAS-DPD to your kit.

Thanks!
Maybe I will get some pool time in tonight... We will see. Got the painters, carpet people, and an obnoxious aunt at the house sometime today. Thank god she is on the wife's side and the wife is taking care of the house, Ha!

I plan on getting one of the recommended test kits very very soon. I would have last night :/
And you're right, the test was came back a light pumpkin color.

Any idea about why it tasted like salt? (I dont know if the resent storms had anything to do with it.)

Previous owners may have added salt for the better feel. People's ability to taste the salt at pool levels varies.

You could have a pool store test your salt level to see where it is at.