Return "Eye" position....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
after the 3 days of downpour rain we've had here, my pool was overflowing. since i needed to drain some water anyway, i figured it was a good time to swap out the intex eyeball for the hayward one that came with my dyna skimmer. (BTW, its worth it!)

anyway, got it in, how do you guys position your eyeball? i have mine to where the water barely breaks the surface, and the eye is turned to spin pool clockwise, hopefully directing any debris towards the skimmer. with the 2650 intex pump, it really churns it. :mrgreen:

is this the best setup? how much water should break the surface on the return?

thanks!

Circulation towards the skimmer the long way around the pool. If it breaks the surface, you run the risk of raising PH. Mine is 50 degrees down at least with the water surface being at zero degrees.

gtnos said:
after the 3 days of downpour rain we've had here, my pool was overflowing. since i needed to drain some water anyway, i figured it was a good time to swap out the intex eyeball for the hayward one that came with my dyna skimmer. (BTW, its worth it!)

I'll be swapping out my intex return for the one included with my Hayward skimmer this weekend. A quick question for ya. I've noticed that the hole through the liner for the intex return is considerably larger then what would be needed for the Hayward return. I'm assuming you just used the larger, existing hole that is already in the liner. (as opposed to cutting a new hole) Did you have any trouble with centering the new Hayward unit in the larger hole? (I'll be doing mine with water above the return so I'm trying to head off any potential surprises BEFORE they appear!)

Happy Swimming!

I took mine out and replace it with 3/4" pvc pipe and a 45 degree elbow. It really sends the water in a circular direction. I can twist it upwards, downwards or sideways. You'll never use the eye again. I think it runs 6psi on low and 20psi on high with clean filter.

Blackwolf said:
gtnos said:

I'll be swapping out my intex return for the one included with my Hayward skimmer this weekend. A quick question for ya. I've noticed that the hole through the liner for the intex return is considerably larger then what would be needed for the Hayward return. I'm assuming you just used the larger, existing hole that is already in the liner. (as opposed to cutting a new hole) Did you have any trouble with centering the new Hayward unit in the larger hole? (I'll be doing mine with water above the return so I'm trying to head off any potential surprises BEFORE they appear!)

Happy Swimming!

same hole, and the intex hose fitting screws right on, no leaks no issues. even with water above return and my slowness, i didnt lose much water in the swap, in fact, i still had to backwash for about 2 minutes to get water level down to 1/3 below top of skimmer opening.

easttn said:
I took mine out and replace it with 3/4" pvc pipe and a 45 degree elbow. It really sends the water in a circular direction. I can twist it upwards, downwards or sideways. You'll never use the eye again. I think it runs 6psi on low and 20psi on high with clean filter.

hmm... i think i have an adapter that will screw into it and a 45 elbow laying around in the shed... my try that. thanks!

This is what I made. The end of the 45 has some holes drilled in it to break up the whirlpools that get created. Hate that sucking noise. The plastic ring you can make out of an old bucket or something flat. It fits in the groove where the eyeball sat and holds the assembly in place. The male and female threads are there because I had to screw the male one on while the assembly is in the eyeball assembly. You will probably see what Im talking about If you take it apart. Only the eyeball gets removed and you reuse the assembly the eyeball was in. Yours could be different, I dont know.

The only downside to what I made was I have to readust the angle of flow everytime I turn my pump on because it turns down when it goes off because of the forward weight. It will stay in place as long as the pump is on. It does have some play in it in case someone accidently hits it so it doesnt break or anything. It just gives, but thats a good thing.

Attachments

• Return.JPG
    Return.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 159
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.