Calcium Issue Help Please

TracyC

Jul 16, 2013
Troy, Mo
Long story short, put in a pool knowing absolutely nothing but had a great pool store a couple miles away and had zero issues until they closed. Two years of dealing with other pool stores has landed me in multiple problem areas.

The biggest was they switched me to tablets for chlorine insisting I had been over paying and had me dumping in stabilizer. Last year my chlorine consumption was through the roof, since finding this site I now know why. My cya is off the chart.

I've ordered a tf test kit 100 and tried to pick up a generic 6way from walmart but all they had were strips so I'm dealing with those until my kit gets
here so unfortunately I have no real numbers to share with you.

I've been exchanging fresh water into the pool to get my cya down but in doing so I've now added even more calcium from our well water which obviously was already high because my second issue is scaling that started this year.

My big question is do I just need to keep my pH and TA at the lowest end of suggested numbers to correct the calcium issue or is there something I'm missing?

We are very rural, reverse osmosis isn't a choice I've already checked. I'm am hour from a competent pool store to even get real numbers and they'll just tell me Ineed to buy chlorine tablets, stabalizer and algacide because that seems to be they're answer for everything lol!!

Until you know what the current CH levels of the pool and well water are, you really can't tell. Calcium becomes concentrated in the pool as water evaporates. Say your well water is 100ppm CH and you fill the pool, your pool will have 100ppm CH. Over the years if you replace half of the water in the pool as it evaporates, the pool will go to 150ppm because the calcium that was in the original water stays in the pool. You may also be adding calcium in the form of powdered pool shock.

Once you know your numbers, you can choose the correct course of action. Keeping your pH low will help in the meantime.

I just went back to all liquids (sodium hypochlorite). The pool was Crystal clear for years until using all the tablets and granulars.

I'm still reading everything I find on here so hoping that was the right choice

I'm still reading everything I find on here so hoping that was the right choice
Yes, you are making good decisions.

Like JohnT said, keep your pH and TA down at the low end and wait for your kit to arrive. (you should have received a tracking number with delivery date....PM me if you didn't)

Once you can post up your full set of tests, we can all help you get your pool back in shape and say goodbye to the pool store.

It's all speculation without facts. You're draining water and stressing over Calcium levels, and you're basing this on pool store tests!

file.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.