Need some advice...

Jun 5, 2013
Nashua NH
I'm on information overload here.

Essentially my issue is the FC & CYA are all but gone in my pool.... I have the TF100 test kit, When I do the basic lock FC/PH test, PH is 7.2, FC doesn't even change color. When I do the chlorine drop test, the water sample doesn't turn pink. When I do the CYA test, I completely fill the 'view' tube and still see the 'dot'.

My slat level is approx. 3128 based on he test strips you can order with the TF100.

The pool is in 100% sunshine basically all day. I run my stock Intex 635t (1500gph) 24 hours & the Intex SWG for 8 hours, usually at night. Last night I stumbled across the fact it is recommended o run it during the day to help fight the sunshine.

I've researched & researched here, I've used the pool calculator o determine what I need to add o get back to appropriate levels.

My questions....
Do I add the CYA first since this may add some chlorine as well or should I hit it with the bleach first & get the FC back up?
Do I need to run the SWG more frequently to offset the fact I'm in full sun?

Thanks
Ed.

You said you are running your SWG at night. You really should do that during the day? Are you testing for FC first thing in the morning? If so and reading 0 that is problematic. But if you are testing FC at night after sun been pounding on it all day, it would make sense that you are not getting a reading especially that you have no CYA in water.

Also you said CYA is "all but gone"... Do you know if you ever had a CYA reading? You probably never had any to begin with. Get your CYA up to 50-70 according to the pool calc and start running SWG during day. Don't forget during this process to get some form of Chlorine in the pool... Bleach or liquid Chlorine. You don't want to have a bloom while waiting for CYA levels to come up. And even if you do right away you will not be able to get to "shock" levels with your SWG.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can buy CYA separately. It will be labeled conditioner, stabilizer, or CYA. Use the Pool calculator to determine how much you need for your pool. The best way to add it to the water is to put the dry CYA in a clean sock or stocking, tie it off and hang it in the pool in front of a return. Keep the pump running 24/7 until all the CYA has dissolved. You can give the sock a few good squeezes several times a day to speed up the dissolving process. It can take up to 7 days for newly added CYA to register on the test, so assume the CYA you add is equal to the target level and dose the pool accordingly.

While your getting the CYA added to the water, supplement the chlorine produced by the SWG with liquid bleach. SWGs are good at adding small amounts of chlorine on a consistent basis which is great for maintaining chlorine levels, but not so great for getting the levels where they need to be in the first place. Test the chlorine daily and supplement with bleach until the FC levels start to hold steady.

Essentially my issue is the FC & CYA are all but gone in my pool.... I have the TF100 test kit, When I do the basic lock FC/PH test, PH is 7.2, FC doesn't even change color. When I do the chlorine drop test, the water sample doesn't turn pink. When I do the CYA test, I completely fill the 'view' tube and still see the 'dot'.

Pool School said:
If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should SLAM the pool.
The yellow drop base FC/TC test is bulletproof for determining the presence of chlorine. You have zero.

You should add about 30 CYA and immediately start the SLAM process as outlined in Pool School. Once you pass the three tests (see red lines in my sig), you can increase CYA to appropriate levels. Then allow the FC to drop to target level and allow the SWG to start taking care of FC.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Your SWG may not be working. How does your water look?

Crystal clear.

I added the appropriate amount of bleach recommended by the calculator (great tool now that I understand how to use it) this morning to hopefully avoid any bacterial issue. I reset the SWG so it will run during the day to offset the sun consuming any chlorine that is there.

I will test FC when I get home and some CYA in there this evening.

Unfortunately I can't slam it since my daughter is having her 9th b-day party Saturday. Would it be OK to swim if I get the CYA & FC levels near recommended?

Thank You all for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.