percentages for the pool calculator

Jul 3, 2013
Hi,
I'm going to add bleach in order to raise my fc level to 7 per the Pool School, based on my cya, but i'm confused at to what numbers to put in the percentage cell on the Pool Calculator for the bleach. do i add the percentage of Sodium Hypochlorite listed on the label or the percentage of available chlorine listed?
ph- 7.6
fc- 3.5
cc- 0
ta- 100
ch- 380
cya- 60

used the taylor K-2006 for totals

In all cases you use the most common number that the product is normally labeled with.

Use the by weight percentage for bleach (which is the primary number shown on the package) when below 10% strength.

For liquid chlorine, 10% or higher, use the trade percentage, which is how liquid chlorine is normally labeled and sold.

By the by, with CYA at 60, you never want to allow FC to get below 5 (unless you have a SWG).

thanks,, but still confused... this is what the label says

Active ingredient:
Sodium Hypochlorite.......8.25%
Other Ingredients..........91.75%
Total..........................100.00%
Yields 7.86% of Available Chlorine

this is a 3.78 QT( 121 fl oz)3.57L container

do i put the 8.25% or the 7.86% in the Pool Calculator?

JasonLion said:
In all cases you use the most common number that the product is normally labeled with.

Use the by weight percentage for bleach (which is the primary number shown on the package) when below 10% strength.

For liquid chlorine, 10% or higher, use the trade percentage, which is how liquid chlorine is normally labeled and sold.

By the by, with CYA at 60, you never want to allow FC to get below 5 (unless you have a SWG).

Okay, perhaps a dumb question. This is the second time I've seen someone mention the liquid bleach percentage is by weight, but aren't all the containers labeled by volume? If so aren't all the formulas used for amounts to add wrong or do they actually accomodate for this in the math?

You are over thinking it. The two measurements are unrelated to each other, so it doesn't make any difference that they are in different units. All of the calculators have already taken the various units into account, so they will not cause any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.