Cloudy water after 4 days

Jun 15, 2013
Marietta, GA
On Sunday I tested my water, perfectly clear, and found the TA to be 90 and FC to be 1, pH 7.3 so using the pool calculator I added the dichlor (I know I just have to finish up what I have before I switch to bleach) to get to 5 and baking soda as the calculator called for. I added them at the same time, perhaps this is the problem. My pool tuned very cloudy overnight and is still cloudy 4 days later. I retested the water tonight and found these numbers and added more dichlor, as the pool calculator suggested to get it to 5.
pH= 7.6
TA= 100
FC= 1.5
CC= 0.5
TC= 2
CH= 140

The water was clear all weekend and Sunday so why is it cloudy now? I've read some of the other posts but they talk a lot about algae or just a different kind of pool.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The key test result we need to see in addition to what you have posted is your CYA level. Once we know that we can determine how you should proceed. I have to tell you though, if you have been using dichlor exclusively as your source of chlorine most likely your CYA level is very high. Effective FC levels are interdependent with CYA levels. The higher the CYA the higher the FC needs to be in order to have an effective level in the pool.

Re: Cloudy water after 4 days w/ CYA level

I retested now that it has been 24 hours from adding dichlor yesterday and here is some new numbers.
CYA= 60
pH= 7.4
FC= 8
CC= 0
TA= 100
I did not re-do CH, hope that's not a problem. The pool is less cloudy, I can now see the bottom of both the shallow and deep end but It's no where near as clear as it was this Sunday.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well if that CYA is right, you may avert disaster by stopping the use of dichlor and trichlor tablets NOW and only using bleach. Your CYA is already a little above the recommended level.

I would suggest the SLAM process to make sure your pool is "sterile". [slam:2hg35h26][/slam:2hg35h26]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.