Long time getting here!

AprilNC

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
I've been wanting a pool for years and years ... hubby has always said they are a pain .. but everyone I talk to says they are no big deal. So, finally finally got a "free" pool from friends ... we went and took it down for them so we would know how to put it up ... this started in November of last year ... In April we started doing site prep ... we got side tracked ... a lot ... but finally got everything set up, liner/coping/coving/pad ordered ... Installed last weekend.

Several times hubby has said how much of a pain this all was ... and the site prep was a pain in the neck ... but he got a nice new transit out of it, and a new dirt moving implement for the tractor too ... and I surprised him by doing all of the sheet metal repair, installing the coping, coving, pad ... only needed his help for about 30 minutes with the liner and then another 30 with the skimmer/pump attaching ...

So now, it is almost full ... and I'm "cleaning" the pool with the robot and having a beer ... hubby is mowing the lawn ... I think I got the better end of this deal =)

I did have to work on the pump today as it was leaking a bit ... as well as a small leak around the skimmer ... but hopefully after today I'll just be testing and adding bleach ... and waving at hubby on a floatie while he is mowing :cheers:

Thanks for Pool School - I've only been to the pool store for gaskets and a hose ... I did buy a thermometer there too =)

It's been 3 weeks since the pool was filled ... and this is just fantastic! I am so glad that I found this forum, because I think if I had experienced some of these stories about the PS my hubby would have torn the thing down. But it has been shockingly easy! Hubby's friend had told him to prepare to spend $600 per summer on chemicals ... and I am at less than $50 ... and that is including the 5 gallons of bleach sitting in my shed!

I just bought some magnetic lights that I heard about on this forum - and they work great too! I wish I could tell the person that recommended them here, but I have lost that thread!

The deck is almost finished ... and I think we will be spending that $600 on furniture for the deck =)

Thank you so much TFP - everyone here is just fantastic!!

:party: :cheers:

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Hubby should eventually come around. I also heard several horror stories about the "complexity" of maintaining a pool when we first purchased this house. However, by applying the simplicity of the BBB method, you can have a sparkling pool without breaking the bank. Those who spend big $ on the traditional "complicated" methods usually do so because they choose to make pool water management "complex".