Incorrect Pool Volume For 4 Years!

Alynn

Jun 3, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I was just reading the manual on my Pool Pilot Digital Nano (again.....) and saw where the the installer programs the pool volume. I seem to be having trouble with the SWCG maintaining the chlorine. I've been running it at 100% 9 hours a day....

So I double checked the programmed pool volume, it was set at 15,000 gallons. Now I have a irregular, free form, sort of kidney + shaped pool, wide at both ends, more narrow in the middle and was told by the pool renovator that it was approximately 22,000 gallons.

I've just measured it again, averaging the wide ends with the narrow middle to get an average width of 19' by 38' long. It is 8' at the deep end and 3' at the shallow end. According to the pool calculator, my volume is 29,700 gallons. WTH?????

If this is correct, then I have been way off on EVERYTHING! No wonder I can't keep the algae at bay for very long! Ugggggghh!!!!!!!

Have I correctly figured the volume of my pool? If so, I'm sure that you will all agree, I need to readjust all my calculations, as well as resetting the SWCG.

Here is a photo of my pool. It's the best I could do without climbing on the roof, and I'm just too darn tired for that tonight!

[attachment=0:2qwwfrkv]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374102824.735076.jpg[/attachment:2qwwfrkv]

Any advice will be appreciated. Commiseration allowed, as well. :)

Thanks,
Alynn

22,000 (OR NOT?) Gallon In Ground with CrystalStone (pebble) finish in Blue Ice
Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG
Pentair 1.0 HP Pump
Hayward C1200 (120 S.Ft.) Cartridge Filter
Pentair Great White Automatic Pool Cleaner

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374102824.735076.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374102824.735076.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 143
I would measure it in 2 separate sections,(using the pool calculator) just do the deep part up to where it is at the narrowest point, and then do the shallow end which by the picture it appears wider than the deeper end, now add both of them together and that should be close.

Hey all! Sorry about my panicked post last night. I've become frustrated with dealing with my small algae outbreaks, and was researching anything that would be off, keeping me from keeping the pool balanced.

I found a website that helps with measuring a free form pool more accurately, so I remeasured (in a much calmer state of mind, I might add!). I measured the same way as I did yesterday, and my numbers were somewhat different.

It looks like my pool builder was about right. I came up with just under 22,000 gallons. I did, however reset the SWCG pool volume, as it was only set to 15,000 gallons.

The length is 33', the average width is 16 and the average depth is 5.5. (3' shallow and 8' deep).

I added about 3.5 gallons of 10.5% liquid chlorine last night. Pool water is crystal clear with 2 spots (about 1' X 3' each) of algae on the wall.

Current test results:

FC: 17 (added 3.5 gallons last night.)
CC: .05
TA: 130 (high)
ph: 7.8 (a little high)
CH: 300
CYA: 60 (added 48 oz. Monday night after letting out about 5 inches of water from thunderstorm. I added it before there was any visible algae).

I will be adjusting the ph this weekend, and it looks like I'll be SLAMing against this weekend, as well. Although, I hate to think about how much chlorine it will take, as I've added the CYA to bring it to about 75. :-(

Any and all suggestions are welcomed! And thanks for all the help!

Even with my algae outbreaks, it still is a whole lot better than the brown swampy mess that was in my backyard when I bought the house in 2009!!!!!!

Alynn

22,000 Gallon In Ground with CrystalStone (pebble) finish in Blue Ice
Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG
Pentair 1.0 HP Pump
Hayward C1200 (120 S.Ft.) Cartridge Filter
Pentair Great White Automatic Pool Cleaner

I think your average depth is likely lower because the deep end looks smaller than the shallow end and the deep ends are usually more curved on the bottom. Did you actually measure the depth?

Sounds like you are on the right path. You could sort of check the volume by measuring the FC, using the calulator for a target, and then testing again in an hour to see if you hit the target. If you are always high on the FC, that could mean the volume is less ... or it could mean that the bleach was stronger, so it is certainly not exact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.