In New England, was set on Liner, but thinking about Gunite?

Carnut12

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2013
Forsyth, GA
I was dead set on Liner, but today I spent a few hours with a Gunite company and after looking at 5-6 pools they installed I am going to see what they can do for me.

A few things I like are the Pebbletec, after I saw this in person it is stunning, and I also love how most of their pool builds do not have decking all the way around it, the landscaping comes right up to the Coping, it looked Outstanding IMO. You can not really do that with a liner pool so you have wasted square footage of decking that could be better utilized.

I did not get a quote, I plan to do that next. All of the pools they showed me had the in floor cleaning system, they highly recommend it, it sounded like a good idea, but I am not sure. I was also surprised they said about half their customers never even cover their pool, very interesting.

I am open to anyones opinions or thoughts on this.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Re: In New England, was set on Liner, but thinking about Gun

In-floor clears are expensive and get mixed reviews here. If you got that be sure to get a separate return loop to the walls that is not part of the in-floor system as a back up.

Carnut12 said:
the landscaping comes right up to the Coping, it looked Outstanding IMO. You can not really do that with a liner pool

Sure you can. Not sure why you think otherwise.
Pebble tec looks nice. But, unless you're doing a really exotic shaped pool, IMO, gunnite is waste of money. You can do a liner pool in a range of shapes. You can do cantaliver coping, steps inside the pool and not have those white plastic steps, etc. It's your money and obviously you will get what you like, but you will pay close to double. You'll have to brush it more (ive never brushed the walls of my vinyl pool in 5 years ive had it) maintain the calcium, and if you have tile around the top you will likely have some pop over time due to freezing water. Again its you desicion. I looked at gunnite to when I had mine put in, but for what we wanted, it was a collosal waste of money.

And in-floor cleaners are a headache and waste of money, IMO.

I appreciate the input, it is funny you mention the tiles, I did not think of that. Some of the pools I looked at had Cracked tiles, this is probably why and every year they will continue to get worse.

I have also read the same about in-floor cleaners, it is just something else that could go wrong.

This is why I love this forum, certainly helps you weigh all the options.

I am still leaning towards a Liner pool with Spill Over Spa and possibly 2 spill over decents, one on each side of the Spa.

Thank you again

We also liked the look of landscaping/grass close to the pool but there are no gunite pool builders in our town so cost would have been very expensive so we opted for vinyl and a "natural" look as we are in a wooded setting. Our coping is abt 14 -18". We are very pleased with the results. My husband does push mow our yard so that does keep debris out of pool. Not having a solid pool deck has not been a problem and we have had teens, little ones & adults for several swim parties. It does tend to keep it cooler around pool as it faces West.

Best wishes!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 438

Wow, what a unique design and alternative to a patio ksnewman, I love it! We're having a full patio put around out pool, but are going with stepping stones from the house to the patio about 45'.

MassNerd said:
Wow, what a unique design and alternative to a patio ksnewman, I love it! We're having a full patio put around out pool, but are going with stepping stones from the house to the patio about 45'.

Thank you. We still have a bit of work to do on the "patio" side. We do want to add a few more larger stones. This is an experiement of sorts to see if the grass will survive. We have such a small yard that we wanted to keep as much grass as possible to keep it cooler. It is NOT a 4" high heel rated zone, but we like to keep it casual anyway! We have 2 350 sq ft decks plus a 400 sq ft patio so we have lots of patio/deck areas.

One of the things you need to think about is how long do you plan on staying in your home. A gunite pool is a permanent fixture more or less. A vinyl pool can be easily removed comparatively speaking. Both types have issues. Plaster wears out and must be replaced. Staining is another issue. Vinyl has problems if you need to drain, floating issues with heavy rain, and damage from over chlorination. You need to research the issues associated with both types of builds before you decide.

Ksnewman that pool looks Outstanding, I would bet it was Gunite if you did not say otherwise.

I have an incline behind my pool, I did not fully explain what I meant, I plan to have a raised Spa behind the pool built into the small incline. With Gunite they can just raise the wall higher and build in steps from the pool to the Spa. Behind that wall/steps I could have landscaping start. Every Liner Builder says they would not do that, they do not want the pressure on the wall, they all want a walkway with a retaining wall behind it.

Not sure if that makes sense. Anyway I am just now looking into Gunite, just want to check all my options, I am still leaning towards one of my first Vinyl PB that came out.

I am glad I am not doing anything until next year, there is so much to learn.

Thank you for the responses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If you can afford gunite, get it. I've played with the idea for two years and we have decided to build gunite.

My thought is this...

Yea, it's a boatload of money, but I don't think that anytime down the road I will say "Gee, I wish we had gone with vinyl or fiberglass". With a good pebble finish you don't have to worry about re-plaster.

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
. A vinyl pool can be easily removed comparatively speaking. .

This is not really true. I'd hate to think about tearing mine out with all that concrete around it. Do you nkow how one is actually built? :mrgreen:

Keep in mind the OP is in New England, not Texas or any other part of the south. There are freeze damage issues with gunite up here that aren't a problem with vinyl. Also, the cost differece can be staggering. In florida, a gunite pool is cheap as can be. In the northeast, a vinyl pool that would run 30k with all the bells and whistles could run 60 k easily if done with gunite.
I'm not anti gunite. If i lived in the south where they are cheaper to build, I might consider one. But realize that they are not prevalent up here for a reason.

A "liner" pool can be built many different ways. My liner pool's sides and steps are gunite, just like a pool with a plaster finish. My pool's floor is vermiculite. Didn't cost much more than had it been built with preformed walls and steps.

I was shocked at the price difference between a steel wall pool and concrete wall pool what I was getting quotes. Concrete (and one company called in Permacrete) was at least $10K more. I can;t even imagine how much more a gunite pool is in MA. Interested in hearing quotes if you do continue looking at them.

As for your patio, concrete people are pretty creative and can easily design stuff that you've seen on this forum. Also, if you are willing to drop big bucks, you can always do pavers which means the possibilities are endless as to the design with plantings and such.

I have seen some good looking vinyl pools (in pictures only) that have steel or composite panel wall construction. They seem pretty cost effective. Many have a vermiculite floor but the steps and such are made of metal.

I'll give my gunite plug since you have an interest in the subject. I don't offer my thoughts on this subject otherwise because they will likely come across as snobby but they are just my feelings. In anything I build or have built, I need it to feel solid and permanent or I am not happy with it (assuming it is something that I expect to have a long time). The soft feel of a liner is not pleasurable to the side of my brain that requires solidity even though I can appreciate the fiscal and other benefits of liner pools. I've always felt that (and this is the part that may get me in trouble) gunite pools were a step above liner pools on the quality ladder. Ok, I'm done, let the slinging of rocks and spears begin.

Mind you, I happily appreciate and respect all the decisions people make and feelings they have for their own pools, so hopefully it will be reciprocated.

I think the big issue with Gunite in New England is more the Labor Rates than the seasons they talk about. In the south labor is dirt cheap, up North is is probably double or more than the south for this type of work. It is funny the Gunite company I spoke to said a Liner will last you 5 years, that gave me a little humor. The Poly liner company told me Steel Rusts especially with the SWG I want. And the steel said the Poly Cracks. LMAO, all funny. Not that none of those things happen, but if installed right they will all last as long as I plan to live here.

The Gunite company said to expect a 20% premium over Liner for their pools, we will see. I do like that it is family owned and they do about 50-80 pool a year, they have been in business for 43 years and have a lifetime warranty. They did say it could crack, but said it was rare, also said although it is an inconvienence they fix it for free as long as we own the pool. They have 43 year old pools still doing fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.