need help selecting a saltwater system for 5400 gallon pool

bunkey

Sep 17, 2007
Hi, I am in windy OK and put my intex 18 x 4 pool up last week, using chlorine. The wind has blown very hard consistently for the past week and my once pretty pool is now full of dirt and the filter, which came with the pool, is useless. I am wanting to get a saltwater system and a bigger filter for the pool. it is 5400 gallons and I have been looking at the 4000 gal. intex pump with the new intex saltwater generator chlorinator...all very confusing, since I can't keep my pool clean with chlorine. Any suggestions on how big a new pump and what saltwater system to get? Also, since it's already up with chlorine, acid, stabilizer and shock,can I switch to salt? What type of testing kit do I need? I am definately new at this, but just want a nice clean pool for my family.
Thank you help, as I am on amazon readly to buy!!
Bunkey

If your pool is constantly filled with dirt from wind maybe it's better to consider pool cover? You can go for SWG and bigger filter, but that would be like the band aid, you would still need to clean the pool from dirt sitting at the bottom every time you have winds.

We also have an Intex 18' x 42" pool, with a 16' x 12" deep circle dug into the middle so it's deeper. The pool is on it's 7th summer with us. The POS Intex filter died at the end of the first summer. We bought a 1 HP 100# sand filter and the water has been crystal clear ever since. I would definitely recomend a sand filter. IMO, the cartridge filters Intex supplies with their pools is WAY undersized.

I am also very interested in an Intex SWG. Seems like an economical way to get into the SW ways.

Adam

Thanks for the info...I just got my new pump and swg yesterday and wanted to use the new powerful pump to vacuum all the dirt out of the bottom, but it started raining. I'm thinking of just draining the pool and starting with new water, but think I will try to clean it up with the new system. I do want crystal clear water and I do agree that the filters with the pools are worthless. I'll let you know when it gets going.
Bunkey

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.