TC vs FC on Walmart Test

G

Hi there! I am new to TFP and a new pool owner. We set up our new pool on 7/13/13, added the salt the next day, waited 24 hours with the pump running and then turned on the SWG per the instruction manual. I bought the cheap 3 way test from walmart you all recommend while I wait for my TF-100 to get here. My question is, what is total chlorine?...that is what the test results give me, not FC like your article says to be testing for. Or am I confused? lol Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

Total Chlorine is Free Chlorine plus Combined Chlorine. If the water is in good shape, TC is very close to FC.

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Where did you see a recommendation for a 3-way kit from Walmart? There is a 6-way that is ... OK.

You will be much better off with the TF-100 :goodjob:

I just assumed the 3 way would be fine to get an inital idea of PH and Chlorine until my TF-100 gets here on Friday

I just assumed the 3 way would be fine to get an inital idea of PH and Chlorine until my TF-100 gets here on Friday

It is, it's basically the same as the K-1000 that will come with the TF-100. It's fine for ballpark Chlorine and good for PH.

linen said:

Yes, I have read through almost all the articles in Pool School. I don't have all the info memorized yet, but I keep referring to the articles that pertain to my situation the most, such as the two you listed above. I am so glad I found this site, it is very helpful!

The copper is slowly deposited in the water to act as an algacide and will build up over time. Excess copper will turn the water a clear green, deposit stains on the liner, and causes blond hair to turn green. When you maintain your pool with proper chlorine levels you do not need an "algacide" and don't have to deal with difficult to remove stains and managing the copper in the water with sequestrants. The only way to remove the copper from the pool is to drain and refill with fresh water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
zea3 said:
The copper is slowly deposited in the water to act as an algacide and will build up over time. Excess copper will turn the water a clear green, deposit stains on the liner, and causes blond hair to turn green. When you maintain your pool with proper chlorine levels you do not need an "algacide" and don't have to deal with difficult to remove stains and managing the copper in the water with sequestrants. The only way to remove the copper from the pool is to drain and refill with fresh water.
How do you disconnect the copper bars?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.