dirty rural water makes dirty pool water

Lonwat

Jul 17, 2013
McAlester Oklahoma
IST TIME POOL OWNER. Our tap water is always slightly yellow/cloudy. (Or worse). My new AG pool water started out to look like that but the deeper it got,It looks like lake water. Have: added 210lbs salt, 4, 2# bags of Balance and Restore for Salt systems 32oz of Shock and swim (non chlorine)
Ran sand pump 48 hrs then today I started intex salt water system. (On boost mode).now I've come here because nothing seems to help.
These are all the tests I have at this time:
Copper 0
Free chlorine 5ppm
Alkaline 40ppm
P.H. 6.2
Refilling pool isnt an option because thats the water we live with coming out of faucet.
I promise ill go to pool school, but, for right now I'd like to know if there's hope.

You can use borax, soda ash, or washing soda to raise pH. You may want to have the water tested for iron. If the test is positive you can add a sequestrant to take care of the discoloration of the water.

Lonwat said:
This is not well water. Its maintained by utility's water co. Also the test strips im using came with the pool. Is there a specific product to raise ph?
I notice my signature isnt showing up..any advise?

I suspect your utility needs to flush their lines. Often this is a problem if you live near the end of a line. If you complain, they may be able to open the flush hydrant and help with your household water. That won't do anything to fix what's already in the pool though.

Since it's a public utility you can get a water report and find out what's in the water. They are required to give you one if you request it.

As JT said, I'd complain about it and maybe a flush out will help in the future.

Thanks so much. I will get water report from utilities and get better more in depth test strips. Think ill go to the local pool guy and take a water sample.
Questions: do you think my 1600gph sand filter is large enough
Can we install an ozonator with our Sw system?

There is no such thing as reliable test strips. The only reliable test kit is a drop based one, the best of which is the K-2006 or TF-100. Also, ozonators are not needed in an outdoor pool, and I believe they in fact can increase chlorine demand. As far as your filter, I have no idea about filtration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool store tested and had way too much iron. Put in their suggested "metal out" but 24 hours later and no change. Backwashed today and the water that came out was filthy.im kind of at a loss at what to do next. What is a sequestrant...does walmart sell it?.

Finally got chemicals balanced. I found a product called "sink and swim" for all the metal. It actually cleared my pool but left a yellowish powdery substance on pool floor. It says to vacuum this up but when I go to vacuum it seems to stirr it up more than it vacuums. I bought the water tech pool blaster max vac. Which all reviews seemed positive. Any suggestions or is it just a matter of continuing to vac...settle. ..vac

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.