First time use of TFTest Kit (almost)

Test TFtest kit arrived, except for the red-capped testing bottle, so I don't have all the numbers. My replacement Tcell also arrived and I have it installed - seems to be running fine, as the the indicator lights on the box state that it is generating and there has been an increase in the display number on the box.

Here are the numbers I do have...

FC - 2
TC 2.5
Alkaline - 120
Ph - 7.8 (this is a morning sample - might this number be different in the evening?
CH 240
water is clear but not sparkly

Readout on SWG is currently at 2900 - an increase of 100 since yesterday - however, despite thoroughly sweeping the walls and floor yesterday, there is a return of algae (what I believe to be so) on the bottom of the pool.
I know the chlorine is low, will getting the number up kill off the algae? I do have bleach on hand yet, can I safely add this even though the SWG is operating?

Thanks! I appreciate any/all advice.

Edit: Found test bottle. CYA - didn't even register. Followed directions and was still able to see dot with cylinder completely full.

22000 gallons, vinyl above ground, SWG, sand filter

You won't have any CYA unless you added it somehow, either by pure stabilizer, dichlor, trichlor, or some multipurpose one-chemical-does-it-all gimmicky pool product.

So...if you haven't added any of the above, you should do so. The SWG won't be able to keep up with the demand from the sunlight degradation, let alone the bather load.

You pH will likely be higher tonight or tomorrow night. It's just the nature of things. However, adding stabilizer will lower it a little bit, so you get a two-fer!

If you have not put in stabilizer then I suggest to add 5 pounds to raise the CYA to 30 ppm. This will protect the chlorine from the sun. Then you need to do the SLAM process, pool-school/shocking_your_pool to get rid of the algae.

After you have finished SLAMing the pool, raise the CYA to 70 ppm and follow the recommended levels for a SWG pool, pool-school/recommended_levels. It will be easier to SLAM the pool with the CYA at 30 compared to zero or 70.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I need some clarification...

The label on the stabilizer states in can be sprinkled throughout the pool or put directly in the skimmer - since we're talking 5 pounds I'm assuming sprinkling would be best opposed to hanging in a sock, etc. as read elsewhere on the board?

Slamming - is it ok to use the liquid bleach with the SWG ?

Thanks!

what next said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but I need some clarification...

The label on the stabilizer states in can be sprinkled throughout the pool or put directly in the skimmer - since we're talking 5 pounds I'm assuming sprinkling would be best opposed to hanging in a sock, etc. as read elsewhere on the board?

Slamming - is it ok to use the liquid bleach with the SWG ?

Thanks!
You can sprinkle it in if you want a bleached liner. You can pour it in the skimmer and hope it doesn't clump up and clog pipes. Also pray that when the stuff gets concentrated in the filter that the acidic pH doesn't dissolve seals or metal parts. And hope you don't need to backwash before it's fully dissolved, either, or it'll go right out the waste line. Money wasted.

You need to decide RIGHT NOW if you're going to believe the pool store and the manufacturers and follow their instructions for pool chemistry, or do things the BBB way. The instructions for SLAM specifies
If you have a salt water chlorine generator, chlorine tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator, you will still need to use another chlorine source for SLAMing. All of these devices are designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily over many hours. To kill algae or lower CC, you need to put in lots of chlorine all at once. The SWG, tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator can be very helpful in the follow up stages to maintain FC at shock level, but for the initial couple of chlorine applications, you need to use another chlorine source.

To add to what Richard quoted, it is usually recommended to just turn the SWG off during the SLAM process so that you can get a better feel for the FC consumption.

So, get the CYA up to at least 30ppm ... SLAM it ... pass the 3 criteria to stop ... raise the CYA up more ... dial in the SWG.

OK - I put in the 5# of stabilizer, using nylons. Slammed the pool to a FC level of 13 (was aiming for 12 according to the chart, guessing too much of the bleach). Brushed the pool again - however, the stuff on the bottom returned - I'm second guessing whether it is actually algae; it does not feel slimy or squishy it simply dissipates, within a short time seems to resettle again, especially into the crevices of the pool bottom. Could this be something else?
Will test once more tonight when sun is down and again in the morning and post result. If I'm understanding correctly, the CYA wont be up for a few days, so I should wait on testing it, or should I check it tomorrow?
Thanks!

It could be dead algae that is continually bing killed. An OCLT will tell you if there is something still living in the pool.

Assume the CYA is at your target, but you need to wait a week to test and verify.

If it sinks, you can use a vacuum to vacuum it to waste and skip waiting to filter, assuming your water is clean and cost effective.

As to manufacturers instructions,I feel that in general they ASSUME you have a plaster pool, with perfect water and have perfectly balanced water before you add whatever product you are adding. If I had perfectly balanced water, I would not need your product.

I have followed manufacturers instructions in the past and it ruined my liner. I have since replaced my liner and now follow the recommendations here. ALL of the recommendations here are focused on what is best and safest for your pool, it's construction and your equipment.

If you have a question about how to do something, come here and someone will help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To each of you, thanks for the help - very much appreciated - and the saga continues....
I did SLAM yesterday, took final test results after sunset.
Tested again this a.m. - no direct sun yet:

FC 13 (same as last night's result)
CC .5
TC 13.5
Ph 7.5
Alk 100
Calcium 260 (not sure I was 'blue enough' yesterday, recorded 240 then)

given these numbers, if I understand correctly, nothing is living in the pool, and I do not need to SLAM anymore; turn SWG back on and try to increase the CYA to 70 (5#of stabilizer was put in yesterday, in nylons, is dissolved - I'm assuming this raised the CYA to 30).

I still have the 'stuff' at the bottom of the pool. I did find on another post reference to pollen, dirt, etc. Perhaps this is what is on the bottom? It almost seems powdery. Will try to reconnect the polaris vacuum and see if it can resolve the problem.

Should I wait for the chlorine level to go down before raising the CYA to 70? -

Haven't spoken to any 'pool store' people, and going forward, reading of product labels will be solely to ascertain the contents and percentages in the product! :lol:

what next said:
Haven't spoken to any 'pool store' people, and going forward, reading of product labels will be solely to ascertain the contents and percentages in the product! :lol:
And that, my friends, is what it's all about! :goodjob:
Knowing what you put in your pool and why!

Personally I would run the OCLT again tonight. Especially given that you have .5 CC's.

Technically if there's stuff still in your water, you should remain at shock level. Part of the criteria for stopping the SLAM process is that your water is clear.

You can go ahead and raise the CYA if you want.

Yeah, vacuum or brush that stuff on the bottom. If it proves difficult to vacuum, brush it up into the pool water, pump running, to expose it to that high chlorine and hopefully get more of it to filter out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.