Vinyl liner - terminology

Yoav

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Pardes Hanna, Israel
Hi All.

As expected - due to a job poorly done - my fiberglass pool paint is coming off and making my water milky white, less than two years after resurfacing.
Since I do not intend to go through resurfacing again, I was thinking about using a liner.

At the time I got an offer from a local professional to line the pool with PVC, but decided not to because it was twice the price of resurfacing (apparently the wrong decision made there...).
Anyhow, I was surfing endlessly yesterday, trying to get an understanding of what exactly is meant when people here say "vinyl".
My research has turned out some possible answers (such as cPVC), but nothing conclusive.

There are several pool companies here that sell "vinyl liner" but as I don't trust them, I want to know exactly what I am getting.
Some of those companies by the way sell both "vinyl" and "PVC" liners.... so I am a bit confused....

I recently started looking into natural pool construction (which I might attempt in the future) and it seems that the liner of choice for those is EPDM.
Could have been both a solution for my current condition and a preparation for a natural pool (in case I decide to make that attempt), but reading a bit about it here on TFP seems to show that it would not be a good liner for chlorinated pools.

Can someone help me get my liners (and their composition) straight?

Since you're in Israel, your choices may be dofferent than they are over here. Vinyl is a specific formulation of plastic. It's usually a a little more flexible and forgiving than PVC It and PVC is a little easier to handle than EPDM or Butyl mostly because of the thickness and weight.

Vinyl or PVC will work if you decide to turn your pool into a "natural swimming pool". In fact a lot of ponds are constructed using vinyl liners. Vinyl is the material of choice because it can be made into almost any shape, it's easy to fuse together, it comes in an enormous array of colors and patterns and it's relatively light weight.

Thanks Dave.

The easiest solution would be to go to one of the aforementioned pool companies and buy the vinyl there.
What I was hoping to do though, was apply the BBB thinking to a pool liner - accumulate enough knowledge about "vinyl liners" (i.e know exactly how to tell vinyl from other stuff, its chemical makeup and properties), and buy it where its sold for a "normal" price instead of paying for it at pool company rates.

Given that "vinyl" is a group of materials with lots of varying properties, what I do need is to be able to determine that whatever I am buying is "pool grade", i.e durable enough and poses no health or water chemistry issues.
I am guessing the same applies to PVC (but I still refused to pay the high price that pool-safety solutions charge here and instead made my own PVC pool safety cover for a quarter of the price....)

Yoav.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.