new owner

J

jameslvuk

Just buy a house that has a "beautiful" green pool. I live in Vancouver, new to the pool but have done some research about clean the maintain the pool. But the house will be left empty over the winter until spring. My question is shall I start to the turning green to blue process now or leave it until I come back?
Also how long should I keep the pump/filter running daily? Can I turn it off if I am away? The filter is Haward sand filter, it seems quite costly the electricity if keeping running all day.

You definitely need to read up on the SLAM process in Pool School, see link in my sig.
Also read PS (PoolShool), lots, then read some more... when you're tired, walk away, chew on it... then come back and read some more.
See other link in my sig for our recommended test kits and purchase yourself one of those.
The TF100 is the best bang for the buck, yeah, it's a little bit more but it has a much better carrying case, you can fit things like a "speed stir" in it, which you'll really want sooner than later and the reagents are a better value, being more for your money because they're larger bottles.

Once you get your kit and test the water, start SLAMing that bad boy!

The longer it sits, the worse it gets and the more work, time and money it'll take when you do finally start it.

Post here as you go along and we'll help you. But we can't do much without a proper test kit.

EDIT: The pump should run 24/7 while you're SLAMing the pool. Once you get it all cleared up and you finish the SLAM process, then you can settle into a nice rhythm of just running your pump the minimum amount needed to keep your pool properly filtered so it's clean & clear & stays that way with daily testing & occasional maintenance. Once you learn the "rhythm" of your pool, you'll be able to gauge things more easily and have to test less often and simply be down to just adding CL+MA on a regular schedule. Just like a pet. :D
I highly suggest cleaning your sand filter before you get started. That is.. assuming you have a sand filter. See my sig for instructions on this. It's quite important, otherwise it won't filter at its peak efficiency or in some cases, which isn't rare, filter very poorly, hindering your progress and speed.
I would also look @ the article in PS on adding DE to your sand filter so you understand how that works, so you can be prepared for it by having it on hand. Again, it speeds the filtration process up which is nearly the longest part in many "swamps".
I highly recommend cellulose powder over DE, for many reasons. Home Depot has a GREAT deal on a 3lb bag of the stuff, free shipping to any store. *See link.
how-much-water-should-i-drain-t64974-20.html#p541198

Before you start all this, definitely post test results so we can point you down the right and best path for your pool and your pocketbook.
Cheers! :cheers:

Since you are in Canada, it will be more difficult (and expensive) to get a good test kit. I know someone around here just posted saying that they may be able to help Canadians get a one, I will see if I can find it.

Thanks. Will try to get the test kit. And post the result once available. Another question is that this forum seems not recommend using of any algaecide. While I saw from some YouTube video that it can be quite helpful for the turning green to blue stage.

While I saw from some YouTube video that it can be quite helpful for the turning green to blue stage.
Not really. Actually, somewhat the opposite. Algaecide can be effective prevention, but once algae has a foothold, nothing does as well as chlorine to get it green to blue.

Am I allowed to mention the brand name here? Whatever, I heard one algaecide "yellow trine" from YouTube. It seems have a good name for defeating algaecide.
Do not know what it is based?
Edit: it only take 20bucks and seems needs few Ozs to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bromine based. with who knows what else in it, due to "proprietary mixture". Anytime a pool chemical company hides behind that, you can be sure the "other ingredients" are things you don't want to be swimming in.

That is the whole point of the BBB method. Knowing what your pool needs and not adding unnecessary/unknown chemicals to your pool.

understood, thanks.
I suppose that using algaecide may speed up the process and just for one time use. Am I wrong?
Will post the test result after I get the test kit.

Thanks for your help guys

The biggest challenge with using something...one time.... that you don't know what's in it can have lasting effect that are hard to resolve. One example are products that have copper. Once you get too much copper, you can have staining or green water. This is common with "algaecides".

This product is full of bromine that conflict with your chlorine and is difficult to get rid of. You would have now have a bromine pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.