Newbies to TFP and pools

cw0904

Jul 15, 2013
East Meadow, NY
Hello
I haven't set up the intex pool yet as I'm trying to get everything and become knowledgable of the pool world before I start maintaining the pool. Ive purchased the hth6 way test kit for now. The dichlor I've seen on Amazon some say they have sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione. Is the the same as dichlor pool school speaks of? Is there any specific dichlor anyone could recommend- brand, bag/container?

Based on my pool I'm guessing I should get 6 one pound bags of dichlor. Is this enough to start for the first four days?

After the four days I should start using the regular bleach? I just pour it into the pool? This just sounds weird to me especially since bleach is such a bad thing but I know in the pool world it's the best for the water. Since I'm going to do this method I won't need a chlorine dispenser correct?

I plan on getting a solar cover since where the pool will be my neighbor's lovely tree hangs over my fence (we will be cutting as many branches as possible) but thanks to that tree we get a lot of leaves on our side. Will the solar cover help prevent the chlorine level from dropping or is it a bad idea to get the solar cover?

Welcome to TFP.

I'm a little confused on your numbers. You have 530 gallons in your signature. I think the 530 is referencing the gallons per hour on the pump. You are probably looking at about 1200 gallons or so.

That aside...you won't need anywhere near that much dichlor....ever. The reason you would need dichlor is to chlorinate and add stabilizer simultaneously. Just a half a bag would get you to your target of 30 CYA.

I can tell that you have been reading the Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Bleach will be your primary sanitizer once you stabilizer is at the appropriate level.

Tackle those first few steps then go ahead and get that thing put up and filled. We'll be here to answer your questions when needed.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes, the "sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione" is the Dichlor we are referring to. The chlorine from that and from bleach is the same chlorine in the water. The difference is that the Dichlor also adds Cyanuric Acid (CYA) aka stabilizer or conditioner and that not only protects chlorine from fast breakdown in sunlight, but also moderates chlorine's strength. Because you don't want to much of it and the CYA doesn't go away (except by water dilution), that's why you switch to bleach.

According to this link from Intex, the 10' x 30" Easy Set pool is around 1000 gallons, not 530 gallons shown in your signature. Based on the Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools, one ounce of Dichlor per 500 gallons would be two ounces of Dichlor for your 1000 gallon pool for each of the first 4 days so that is just 8 ounces weight or 1/2 pound of Dichlor, not 6 pounds (how did you calculate that?). After that, you add bleach to maintain the Free Chlorine (FC) level. For your 1000 gallon pool, 1 ounce of 6% bleach or 3/4 ounce of 8.25% bleach raises the FC by 1 ppm so scale up accordingly as needed.

The solar cover will somewhat help the chlorine from dropping. How much depends on whether the cover is clear vs. opaque -- most likely it's partially transparent so may partially help.

I missed the key words on the measurement sheet that came with the pool gallons/hour I just went with that figure. I failed to tell you that I'm terrible with calculations! Another reason why I'm hesitant to do this myself but my husband works crazy hours so I'm left to maintain the pool. Based on your calculations that means that I would only need to purchase a one pound bag. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper than all those chemicals I was told to use at the pool store...

Once my boys see us putting together this pool the never ending question will be when can we go in??? So now I ask you experts, when would it be okay to go in the pool, with two toddlers. Funny enough one sticks just about everything in his mouth but he doesn't like getting his face wet, go figure... That's the best part of being in a pool for the other one!

Thanks so much for your help :-D

cw0904 said:
I missed the key words on the measurement sheet that came with the pool gallons/hour I just went with that figure. I failed to tell you that I'm terrible with calculations! Another reason why I'm hesitant to do this myself but my husband works crazy hours so I'm left to maintain the pool. Based on your calculations that means that I would only need to purchase a one pound bag. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper than all those chemicals I was told to use at the pool store...

Once my boys see us putting together this pool the never ending question will be when can we go in??? So now I ask you experts, when would it be okay to go in the pool, with two toddlers. Funny enough one sticks just about everything in his mouth but he doesn't like getting his face wet, go figure... That's the best part of being in a pool for the other one!

You won't have to be a math wizard. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can do the number crunching. Once you have the volume set, the testing is pretty easy. Most people above the age of, oh, ten, can read the directions, count drops, and tell colors. That's about the extent of it.

Realistically, the kids can get in as soon as there's water in it - they already bathe in the same stuff. But they usually don't spend hours in the tub, so I'd keep them out until the pH was adjusted and the dichlor was added. Odds are it will still be too cold for comfort long after the chemistry is set.

Richard320 said:
cw0904 said:

You won't have to be a math wizard. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can do the number crunching. Once you have the volume set, the testing is pretty easy. Most people above the age of, oh, ten, can read the directions, count drops, and tell colors. That's about the extent of it.

Realistically, the kids can get in as soon as there's water in it - they already bathe in the same stuff. But they usually don't spend hours in the tub, so I'd keep them out until the pH was adjusted and the dichlor was added. Odds are it will still be too cold for comfort long after the chemistry is set.

Thanks Richard. The pool calculator does everything for you that’s great to know! I briefly looked at the pool calculator. Need to do some more reading on this. Once I start with the dichlor I will start testing and plug in the numbers. I’m ordering all my stuff today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.